• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Centrepin bargain

Couple of questions to anyone who might know...

• Is the optional line guard removable?
  • Are these reels free running enough for light trotting?

Last edited:
Will, pretty sure the line guards are removable and it run's on bearings so should be ok for trotting as most bearing reels are quite smooth.

looks like the reel comes without a line guard as in the option drop down the line gaurd is extra £29.99

mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks - I should have worded my post a bit clearer. I wanted to check that if you paid the extra £30 for the line guard then it could be removed if needs be :).

Will

The line guard is an optional extra and yes they are free running enough for trotting. They also have a rock solid ratchet for legering and are (IMO) an absolute steal at this price. I have raved about them at £100 since buying mine a few years ago.........

Darren.

Guys, sorry to throw a spanner in the works, but did any of you read the reviews below the advert. They would definately put me off buying one.

Derek,

Maybe I should send mine back then. Only been using it very happily for the past 2-3 years! My post was written as a very satisfied USER and RECOMMENDER of the reel.

Darren.

Will,
sorry misunderstood:rolleyes:
to be honest i would'nt buy anything by TFG after i bought a rucksak that fell apart bit by bit within 2 months of buying it

mike

A rodent in the wheel is worth any technical specification

Dear Guys,

The fail safe test for any reel of this type is to buy one and set it upright placing a hamster inside the drum come night time. If you can hear the reel revolving whilst you are in bed upstairs discard it as the bearings etc are shot. And if you come down in the morning and the hamster is not 100% knackered with its tongue hanging out then it's not free running enough.

Simples.

Regards,

Lee.

As of today they have run out of the 4.25" models, only the 4" left in stock....have a few BFWers been busy with the plastic?:D

Neil

Back