• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Centrepin advice - moved

Aaron Littlefield

My very first post here on the forums so apologies if its in the wrong section!

I'd be grateful if somebody could offer me some sensible advice on centrepins, to avoid me spending a fortune on reels that I'll probably never enjoy.

To give you some background, I've predominately been using Adcock Stanton's over the past 3 years for my angling (4.5", handles, ratchet)...not just for barbel but for general pleasure fishing for anything that bites. Normally I enjoy trotting the river, but I'm beginning to like the idea of ledgering using a centrepin.

I'm in the fortunate position to be able to consider a nice reel, I've got a few spare Adcock's now but fancy a more traditional reel akin to the aerials. I've got some ideas in mind and would welcome your input. My choices so far are:

1) A tidy (i.e. very clean and unmolested) Allcocks Match Aerial (but I'd imagine this would be around £250 at today's prices)

2) A pair of Fred Crouch Jet reels (not sure on width yet), are they as good as an originall Allcocks? Are they still available? :)

3) A Richard Carter reel: more of a fantasy really, I never see them for sale although I'd be tempted if one came up...(do these go for about £300?)

4) Chris Lythe reel: it would be a big expense - and I've heard there is a massive waiting list from other articles I've (12 months+?)

5) The final alternative is to buy a used Bob James centrepin or Youngs type reel.

I did own a Allcocks Match aerial but had to sell it due to redundancy a year ago, the handle was a bit loose on that one...is this normal with this model? It felt like a quality reel (narrow spool width), sadly I sold it before I could really use it.

If anybody has any suggestions please shout :)

Thanks again - looking forward to joining in more with this forum...very friendly place :)

Regards

Aaron

Hello Aaron, welcome to the forum. There are quite a few centrepin enthusiasts on here, a few that spring to mind are Paul Whiteing, Steve Deveraux and George Lockhart. I,m sure one will be along shortly, or post another thread in the "barbel talk" section, it gets the most attention. Good luck. :)

I really like my Fred Crouch Jet - Narrow.
I prefer it to the Purist II I borrowed (and half the price).
You can get a pair of these for the cost of the Young's or still have money left compared to the others you mention.

Go to bottom of http://www.antiquevintagefishingtackle.co.uk/id38.html
They sell them for £129.99 includes p&p

Out of the reels on your list, I'd go for the original match aerial. After all, it's what most of the others you list are based on!

Adam

I wonder which is better to use - the Trupin Trotter or the Jet series? Having the ratchet in that position is a nice touch, although the sticker logo doesn't really go with the 'vintage' look (not that it makes any difference)! I did like the look of the silver Gem model (a Jet with a paintjob), but I'm guessing they're all taken by now. Would there be any noticeable difference between the 4.5" Jet and slighter small Trotter?

Steve has given the best information on the other thread, and I would have gave virtually the same info so thanks steve it saved me all that typing ;)

I wonder which is better to use - the Trupin Trotter or the Jet series? Having the ratchet in that position is a nice touch, although the sticker logo doesn't really go with the 'vintage' look (not that it makes any difference)! I did like the look of the silver Gem model (a Jet with a paintjob), but I'm guessing they're all taken by now. Would there be any noticeable difference between the 4.5" Jet and slighter small Trotter?

Hi Aaron

The Truepin Trotter is 3.3/4" dia and the Jet is 4.1.2" dia, so a big difference there in reality, and use.

The Truepin Trotter does not have a drag, whereas the Jet does

The Gem series were not Jets as such. The Gems were painted in a variety of colours and were all limited editions, no longer available now. The Jet was (as name implies) Black, and these were NOT limited edition.

The latest Jets are anodised whereas the older ones were painted, and the materials are different (better) than older aerials. Still available.

The latest "standard edition" Truepin Trotters are anodised black or natural, the limited edition ones are red (and I believe are still powder coated)

As for the others you mention, a "tidy" Allcocks is nice, but doubt worth the extra unless you want it for fact that it is old/original.

A Richard Carter is expensive. I believe he is back making these again though (?) but I somehow doubt they will be much cheaper.

A Chris Lythe is expensive, and there's a hell of a waiting list (over 2 years still, I believe) so unless you get a used one, or a cancellation order (if he does that) then maybe you should think again.

I don't like Youngs reels, not that there's anything wrong with them as such, I just prefer Crouches.

A point also to consider is that some of the so-called "lightweights" are lighter due to there being lots less material, so you have to be wary of muck getting in, assuming your a mucky devil that is :) Many say it's not a problem though.

paul4

choosing a pin seems a very personal thing, your style of fishing is just one consideration, so many pins so little time. i picked up a jw young bob james 2080 (not the light weight with the cut out back plate) last year for £165 on ebay and it had never seen a rod by the look of it. bearing reels do take a little more 'pull' to get them turning compared to true pin's but you'll be hard pushed to notice with the BJ. if your looking for a true 'Pin at a budget price that you can sell on after you find something special, have a look at the spedia, i have a wide drum that lives on a Fred J Taylor roach rod but has been used for ledgering on my mk4 avon, its a nice size and has the lever to operate the ratchet in just the right place for me, mine cost less than £40, again off ebay. long ago i had a match aerial but i like the spedia more;)

'I want them all' but have decided that at some point the Chris Lythe scotton long trotter with a side ratchet lever in 4 1/2" and a 1915 avon 4" is what i want then i will sell most of my other pins. I had a budget for one but just blown it on another hexagraph:D Two year wait's a 'pin but good things come to those who wait so I'll put in my order and see what comes along in the mean time

Back