• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Centre Pins

Paul Pittman

Looking at getting a centre pin for some trotting down the Mole etc. Not after anything expensive while im learning to use it. Any recommendations?

the dragon carp marco cortessi, is £30 + postage and should be a good starter pin for you, I have one and love using it for both trotting for silvers or barbel fishing once you master the casts

there are many others out there as well, and I'm sure others will give you their views as well

the dragon carp marco cortessi, is £30 + postage and should be a good starter pin for you, I have one and love using it for both trotting for silvers or barbel fishing once you master the casts

there are many others out there as well, and I'm sure others will give you their views as well

this ^^^

everybodys first pin should be this

seriously paul

go for the dragon carp reel @ £30 , if you dont get on with it , not really much lost

i have a few pins from the dragon to top end stuff and the dragon carp still gets on the bank ;)

If you wanted to go more old school go for a Speedia or Rapidex, the narrow drum version of the Speedia would cost about the same £30 on ebay. I thought the marco cortessi reel was good value but when the pawl fell out on a strike... well I haven't forgiven it, nor used it since. Just noticed your later post Paul. If £250+ is not too expensive for you then 1. I have no idea of what expensive is in your book and 2.I'd go for a pair of wide drum Speedias or the Fred crouch reel available at the top of the classified section.

If £250+ is not too expensive for you then 1. I have no idea of what expensive is in your book and 2.I'd go for a pair of wide drum Speedias or the Fred crouch reel available at the top of the classified section.

thats the rrp - on ebay theyre going for 50 quid (ish)

"thats the rrp - on ebay theyre going for 50 quid (ish)"

Narrow drum speedia went for £26 + postage a couple of days ago, but granted often around the £30 - 50 mark for narrow.

edit: Yep TFG reel on ebay is £55 ish buy it now price so acknowledge I misread the rrp as the price Paul was prepared to pay - apologies!

Last edited:
QUOTE=Nick If you wanted to go more old school go for a Speedia or Rapidex, the narrow drum version of the Speedia would cost about the same £30 on ebay. I thought the marco cortessi reel was good value but when the pawl fell out on a strike... well I haven't forgiven it, nor used it since. Just noticed your later post Paul. If £250+ is not too expensive for you then 1. I have no idea of what expensive is in your book and 2.I'd go for a pair of wide drum Speedias

Spot on !

Hugo

Hi Paul,

I would go for the more expensive reels, The Marco Cortesi would put me off using a pin for life! As you are planning to trot with it, i would look at a larger reel of 4.5 or even 5 inch diameter. This allows you to get line back on the reel quicker when retrieving line.
The other things to look for are lightness and ease of use, do you prefer a lever check or other mechanism.

I am lucky to own a large number of pins op all ages and sizes and prefer the Fox Bob James for day to day trotting work. It's 5 inches and very lightweight and has my favourite lever check mechanism. They were available on ebay until recently for about £150. I'm not sure if they are still available at this price?

Obviously, it is all down to individual preferences as ever, speak to your local tackle shop and have a play.

Don't forget the old addage, "buy cheap, buy twice"!

Good luck and i hope you find something that suits you.

Regards,

Jeff

Looking at getting a centre pin for some trotting down the Mole etc. Not after anything expensive while im learning to use it. Any suggestions

Paul,
I have the following which is unused and not likely to be used, not in the immediate future. I'll happily sell to you for £30 if you are interested and i'm happy to meet up for you to view. I'm only round at Dartford so not a million miles away. Clacketts Lane would be a good Place to meet up!?

Regards

BillW...:)

Avanti Trinium Centrepin Reel - Dragon Carp Direct

Last edited:
a certain person on this site who regularly catches large barbel on the pin uses Preston Innovations Reflo line. i've loaded it on my pins, seems like good line but it hasn't improved my barbel catch rate on the float yet !!!

watching for the answer to this one...... as Ive just taken delivery of a jw rolling pin myself!

With casting off-the-side you'll get line twist, and especially so with a RW Rolling Pin. Line twist happens with mono, and of course (plain mechanics) it will still happen with braid but the effects are far less of a problem.

Although I use the Wallis Cast mostly these days which doesn't give line twist problems, I changed to braid several years ago to allow me to use any casting method, and having spoken a few times with Ray. Personally I'd recommend PowerPro.

Just a reminder that my article "Centrepins and using them, especially for Barbel fishing" discusses this. Since BFW changed formats for articles a while back, best to visit my own site for this article now

Centrepins and using them, especially for Barbel fishing

watching for the answer to this one...... as Ive just taken delivery of a jw rolling pin myself!

That's the one that looks like a centre pin and casts like a fixed spool,I believe, and I am at loss to know what is the point in the contraption :p

Probably takes the pain out of learning the Wallace whilst looking like a right 'toff. ;)

Back