• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Centre pin

• Thread starter Deleted member 3320
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3320

Morning,

Looking for my first ever centrepin, no idea where to start looking for something nice will hold its money function well.

Asides from that I generally need some advice on differences / sizes etc etc.

Help welcomed.

Dan

What are you wanting to do with it?
Trotting, ledgering, big powerful fish like barbel or bit bashing etc.

And it also helps if you have a budget in mind
(Not that I’ll be giving you much advice on what to buy) but others on here definitely can

Trotting on a float mainly to start with perch chub etc. up to 200 pounds. Want something that can cover mainly float fishing to start :)

I'm a centrepin novice but sporadically use a Shakespeare Lincoln for trotting with braid and it actually works really well!

It does have its limitations (no ratchet / drag) but it spins fairly well in a relatively decent flow and is light and robust / retrieves quickly. Primary reason for purchase was its side cast function (it can be rotated like the Ray Walton pin to facilitate a front facing, fixed spool type cast) however for the small rivers I use it on (eg Colne) this is pretty superfluous. . . you can pick them up a decent price and it could be a good choice before splashing out on the more advanced pins . .

Last edited:
Hi Daniel,
For your budget you could get an Okuma Aventa Pro or Okuma Sheffield pin and still have money left over for some decent line and a fish and chip supper. If exclusively looking for a caged version ( which may well help when starting out trotting ) then keep an eye on e-bay for a preloved Okuma Kennet or Youngs Purist. Even better, if you have a fishing pal with a pin, ask if you could borrow it for a couple of sessions to see if you get on with it as not everyone does.

Morning,

Looking for my first ever centrepin, no idea where to start looking for something nice will hold its money function well.

Asides from that I generally need some advice on differences / sizes etc etc.

Help welcomed.

Dan
Daniel,
I have a Youngs Purist CL not being used! It’s in very good condition with just a couple of very small dinks which stops it from being perfect. I regret I don’t have the original box or paperwork.
If you are interested I’d take £175.00 posted. Why sell ? I have two and this one hasn’t seen the bank since Grayling fishing on the Frome last February. Please see pictures below.

Attachments

• 73F750A7-681C-4169-892A-99EE0EB192CF.jpeg
    73F750A7-681C-4169-892A-99EE0EB192CF.jpeg
    187.7 KB · Views: 118
  • AA811A77-B23E-477A-B634-5151DE2BAD12.jpeg
    AA811A77-B23E-477A-B634-5151DE2BAD12.jpeg
    185 KB · Views: 120
  • 8BB36573-9573-413E-92F6-B036C8B9672B.jpeg
    8BB36573-9573-413E-92F6-B036C8B9672B.jpeg
    165.2 KB · Views: 108
  • AC9B42F5-1DC9-46CD-9D99-1847D04C8220.jpeg
    AC9B42F5-1DC9-46CD-9D99-1847D04C8220.jpeg
    124.5 KB · Views: 111
  • 7143A583-8B0E-473A-BB93-99A681C0E90F.jpeg
    7143A583-8B0E-473A-BB93-99A681C0E90F.jpeg
    84.2 KB · Views: 127
  • 3E280854-CD56-46C6-B35D-8B73356EA132.jpeg
    3E280854-CD56-46C6-B35D-8B73356EA132.jpeg
    317.8 KB · Views: 120
Thank you Bill, it’s lovely and within price. I have as suggested above reach out to a friend that uses them who’s going to take me out and show me the ropes and let me use his. If goes well you happy for me to PM you if no one’s else grabs it ?

For my two pennorth, I would actively advise >against < a caged drum pin, one overrun and it can be a nightmare unpicking the problem, as a novice pin user I would advise you to get a simple pin, no line guard .
I have been using pins for about , well, I got my first one when I was about 11 yrs old and am 70 now, so make of that what you will.
There re are plenty of new or nearly new pins available , I am sure something like a narrow drum ariel, if you want old school, or maybe an Okuma or similar if you want something up to date would fit the bill, not too small across the diameter, as the smaller dia your line is wound on, the longer it takes to wind the line back when trotting .

David .

Thank you Bill, it’s lovely and within price. I have as suggested above reach out to a friend that uses them who’s going to take me out and show me the ropes and let me use his. If goes well you happy for me to PM you if no one’s else grabs it ?
Very wise to go and play Daniel. It’s very addictive though this trotting lark 🤣

For what its worth ,I would avoid caged centre pins for the reasons given by others . As a starter I would suggest a second hand speedia ,or an Okuma Aventa both well within your budget . To answer the purists the Okuma is not a true centre pin as it runs on bearings but that makes no difference in terms of function , they are well made , free running reels with a ratchet check which is all you need

Speedia Narrow of Robs in the sale section must definitely be worth a look.
Judging by Robs previous sales I’d say it’s going to be worth more than his asking price.

Another one to consider is the JWYoung Trudex Mk3 which has just been launched although at £260 slightly over your budget. It is 4.5 ins diameter but the spool is only 0.54 ins wide. That would be good for chub and perch but I would personally go to a wider spool if barbel become your target to spread the line and prevent “bedding in” https://www.jwyoungandsons.com/store/Trudex-III-p496639507

I would go with Trudex first, no matter which model, and remove the line guard. Speedia narrow drum is also a nice reel to start with, I have 3 of it, the only thing I don't like about the Speedia is the deep spool, apart from that, it is very good.

You won’t go wrong with that Young’s Purist CL in the above post. I own two and rate it as the best of the original Young’s pins. The caged constructio, just works so well and making it tangle free 👍🏻

Back