• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Cemex selling up!

I'm a Cemex Baliff On one of the syndicates
And I can't see a rosey future for many of the waters
I for one am quite gutted
Such a shame really !!
Hopefully we don't see illegal fish movement
Happening !!

I'm a Cemex Baliff On one of the syndicates
And I can't see a rosey future for many of the waters
I for one and quite gutted
Such a shame really !!
Hopefully we don't see illegal fish movement
Happening !!
will reading be taking over your bit...;)

I've spoke to somebody today regarding this David
And they have told me reading don't have the funds
But we will see won't we

Luke

Have they priced themselves out of most peoples reach?

Good point tom, and yes youre probably right..In some cases you pay your fee for the year and then have to join waiting lists to actually fish some venues!, which can be years!..If you join a club then ALL the clubs venues should be available..

I suspect the RSPB will be eyeing up one or two waters, and that will be the end of fishing on those venues.

This is where we as anglers should have a strong governing body, who, much like the RSPB, could step in and take on the venues for us anglers.....

Sadly, with the lack of people joining the likes of the Angling Trust, I doubt it will ever happen.....

Steve

I have heard a figure of 37 mill being bandied about,(although that could be pure fantasy), but if that is the case then i don't see how anybody is going to recoup their investment through fishing, lots of those waters will be lost to Angling i'm afraid.

That list contains some of the most famous big fish waters in the country. It would be a great shame if any of them are lost to fishing.

You can be pretty sure that the whole thing will be broken up into packages and sold off, as I can't see anyone buying the whole thing. Bawburgh Lakes, which belonged to CEMEX but was not run by them, was sold off recently and will continue to be run as a fishery. I'm sure the same will happen to other waters but others will be turned over to other uses such as conservation or sailing, etc.

For me the bigger problem will be the fact that anyone buying these fisheries is going to have to capitalise on their investment by stocking more carp and it wont be too long before almost every gravel pit in the country is overrun with carp to the detriment of most other species.

ha,ha, yer, but for the massive wraysbury reservoir in between heathrow and horton.

Last edited:
Plus, of course, the fact that the well-heeled residents of Datchet and Windsor might disapprove.

Wensum Valley Airport ... hmm ... convenient for, well, absolutely nowhere, except for getting to the Cauvery...

Last edited:
Something that the baggage handlers of dear old Thiefrow were doing many years ago - dumping baggage they had pilfered from all over the lower Colne Valley; I found a very good Samsonite suitcase by the river in the mid 1980s, took it home and used it for well over ten years. I can think of a couple of pubs in which some of those fellas drank and took orders from "customers" ... "Anything but a jumbo jet, mate...".

Back