• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Catching The Impossible on Amazon Prime.

Chris Guy

I've been re--watching and catching up with some I've missed I've missed.
This morning I've been enjoying Episode 5, Going Against The Flow, following the Hants Avon from upstream of Salisbury, down to the sea. To my displeasure I've just seen Pete Reading (Barbel Society) catch a beautiful double figure barbel, netted by Martin Bowler. No resting of the fish, just hauled up onto the mat.
I'm sure that the barbel handling code was in place when this series was produced, in 2009.

That's great Chris, I've only recently got Amazon Prime (for the Autumn series rugby I might add :))

I didn't know there were angling programmes on there, so thanks for that.

My initial posting was in regard to the handling of the barbel which was caught, which gave a very strong account of it's self. Not resting such a specimen before laying on the mat, admiring it and then weighing it kind of goes against all that we have learnt over the years. And this is from a barbel society member!
I see the complete episode is now on YouTube... go to 40 mins 20 secs

I think its the way its been edited Chris.Pete would’nt return a fish that quick .
Hughs films are aimed at non anglers aswell as anglers and who wants to watch a barbel in a net for ten minutes.

Chris - you may well be correct re; the handling code, however back then I seem to remember the main emphasis was on resting before returning, rather than resting before lifting out of the water. To my mind, the latter is a more recent (and no less important) phenomena, particularly with the summer periods of low water oxygenation (dissolved oxygen) over the last 3/4 years. Climate change has focused our minds much more on the fish's welfare. And for a lot of people (though not I) climate change is another recent phenomena.

Happy to have my wrist slapped if I'm wrong. 😀

Yes Richard i think it was filmed a while back .I seem to remember a photo of that capture appearing somewhere which you don’t see being taken in that footage,i’m sure the fish would of been rested before that being taken,which again makes me think it’s down to the editing.
Sadly Pete is no longer involved in the Barbel Society.

I'm not so sure, Bob, regarding any editing that may or may not have taken place. As I suggested I don't think resting before lifting out of the water was de riguer even as recently as 2009(?). I watched it the other night and it looked like continuous footage. I'll have another look later.

No comment on Pete's BS membership - I'm sure he has his reasons.

I'm not so sure, Bob, regarding any editing that may or may not have taken place. As I suggested I don't think resting before lifting out of the water was de riguer even as recently as 2009(?). I watched it the other night and it looked like continuous footage. I'll have another look later.

No comment on Pete's BS membership - I'm sure he has his his reasons.
Yep I agree Richard, there isn't an edit. From bringing it to the net and onto the mat, it's a smooth transition with the filming. A nod was given to the care of the fist on it's return. The code was well established at this point, as I was adhering to it myself even before this film was shot.

Yep I agree Richard, there isn't an edit. From bringing it to the net and onto the mat, it's a smooth transition with the filming. A nod was given to the care of the fist on it's return. The code was well established at this point, as I was adhering to it myself even before this film was shot.
Fair enough, Chris, my timings are awry. Whatever happened to "treat 'em mean to keep 'em keen"? Wait, that may not have been barbel 🤣

Yes Richard i think it was filmed a while back .I seem to remember a photo of that capture appearing somewhere which you don’t see being taken in that footage,i’m sure the fish would of been rested before that being taken,which again makes me think it’s down to the editing.
Sadly Pete is no longer involved in the Barbel Society.
They edited in-between weighing and returning. 👍

Back