• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Catch Cult 30 Update - Bit of a cracker this one!

Martin Mumby

Good eve all.

Just a quick one to let you know that CC30 is in production this week.

Thanks in advance to all who have pre-ordered, I expect mags to be landing on door mats around 13th September thereafter.

Please see pics attached with a brace of 3lb 8oz roach on the cover, and list of contents.

This edition is a cracker for the river / barbel angler including:

Wye legend Maurice Hudson, captor of 2,400 Wye salmon and still going strong at 90!

Kevin Sanders on his conversion to float fishing for chub.

Andy Childs with a lovely tale of 2 big barbel from Kings Weir.

First time writer Martin Gray on River Nene barbel, pics of 9 doubles to 16-10.

Last but by no means least we have Gavin Barrett on an amazing season on the Hants Avon.

This article includes 4 x 7lb chub aand an 8lb'er plus 6 x barbel over 15lb to 19-3!

I know it's not all about numbers, but some exceptional angling and fish here...and none from the Trent.

Single copies and subscriptions are available from:

www.catch-cult.co.uk

I really do need the support of like minded anglers more than ever in the current climate.

Thanks as always to Andy and all at BFW for their support.

Tight fishes, Martin

Attachments

• PRE ORDER CC30.jpg
    PRE ORDER CC30.jpg
    567.7 KB · Views: 154
  • NEW HOME PAGE RIGHT PIC.jpg
    NEW HOME PAGE RIGHT PIC.jpg
    346.7 KB · Views: 146
Great magazine…but disappointed to see you have started posting in plastic sleeves. Can you go back to posting in paper or another easily recyclable sleeve please? Even if prices went up to do this I would pay the extra as the magazine is worth it

Now,t wrong with the trent plenty of space to avoid the Numpties.
I know.
Great magazine…but disappointed to see you have started posting in plastic sleeves. Can you go back to posting in paper or another easily recyclable sleeve please? Even if prices went up to do this I would pay the extra as the magazine is worth it
Alan,
I did look into this and this is the information from the mailing house:
As mentioned before I can confirm that the bag is classed as LDPE 4 (Low-Density Polyethylene)and can be recycled; at the moment in the UK there isn’t a great infrastructure for plastic recycling available, certainly not to the level we have for paper..

Some local authorities will collect these bags (that also include shopping bags etc.) from homes, alternatively for those who can't recycle plastic film at home, some types of plastic films such as LDPE 4 can be recycled at carrier bag collection points at the larger stores of most major supermarkets including Tesco, Asda, Morrisons, Sainsbury's, The Co-op and Waitrose.
Hope that helps, Martin

Just to clarify that I was simply stating a fact that none of the barbel were from the Trent and at no point did I say there was anything wrong with the Trent, or its barbel.

I know.

Alan,
I did look into this and this is the information from the mailing house:
As mentioned before I can confirm that the bag is classed as LDPE 4 (Low-Density Polyethylene)and can be recycled; at the moment in the UK there isn’t a great infrastructure for plastic recycling available, certainly not to the level we have for paper..

Some local authorities will collect these bags (that also include shopping bags etc.) from homes, alternatively for those who can't recycle plastic film at home, some types of plastic films such as LDPE 4 can be recycled at carrier bag collection points at the larger stores of most major supermarkets including Tesco, Asda, Morrisons, Sainsbury's, The Co-op and Waitrose.
Hope that helps, Martin
Thanks for reply, our local council will not recycle these…yes it could be recycled at large supermarkets but none that I use. A simple brown paper envelope can be recycled easily!

Sorry Martin but I’m batting for Alan on this issue. No excuse for using plastics in this day and age. I get paper and cardboard collected from my home which goes for recycling but these types of plastic are rejected. If it’s not practical to use paper envelopes what about biodegradable starch based film wrappers ?

Last edited:
Hello Bill,

I understand your comments and presume you have read the above information?

Believe you me the mailing side of producing Catch Cult IS THE MOST stressful part of the whole process!

You may or may not know I am still working full time shift work and produce CC in my spare bedroom in my 'spare' time.

This is not an excuse for anything or to sound like a hero but I am on the limit time wise.

I have had all sorts of issues with post and lots of suggestions etc which I consider and appreciate.

I have had magazines arriving at their destination barely in the envelope, oh and wet and muddy. Obviously cost comes into it and I have to be sensible as prices for everything are rising all the time. I could not afford to use heavier duty paper envelopes and the ones in use now were the best compromise.

At the end of the day it is possible to deal with them as stated in the information and things will stay as they are for the time being until I have enough time to look into it further.

Thanks for reply, our local council will not recycle these…yes it could be recycled at large supermarkets but none that I use. A simple brown paper envelope can be recycled easily!

Alan,

Perhaps, rather than complaining at Martin for the use of plastic envelopes that CAN be recycled, you should be directing your concerns to those local supermarkets that are not currently offering plastic bag recycling facilities.😉

Dave

Alan,

Perhaps, rather than complaining at Martin for the use of plastic envelopes that CAN be recycled, you should be directing your concerns to those local supermarkets that are not currently offering plastic bag recycling facilities.😉

Dave
Yep done that, and emailed local MP, we do need more local options for recycling. But this is only a short term solution. Change of use at source is still best option…if nobody bought plastic envelopes they wouldn’t be made, and alternatives prioritised. If it is made easier to recycle them then a change isn’t priority.

Hello Bill,

I understand your comments and presume you have read the above information?

Believe you me the mailing side of producing Catch Cult IS THE MOST stressful part of the whole process!

You may or may not know I am still working full time shift work and produce CC in my spare bedroom in my 'spare' time.

This is not an excuse for anything or to sound like a hero but I am on the limit time wise.

I have had all sorts of issues with post and lots of suggestions etc which I consider and appreciate.

I have had magazines arriving at their destination barely in the envelope, oh and wet and muddy. Obviously cost comes into it and I have to be sensible as prices for everything are rising all the time. I could not afford to use heavier duty paper envelopes and the ones in use now were the best compromise.

At the end of the day it is possible to deal with them as stated in the information and things will stay as they are for the time being until I have enough time to look into it further.
Martin,
Fully appreciate that you are between a rock and a hard place and you do a brilliant job with the publication. Plastic is one of my hobby horses and I think the industry could be doing more to support with more environmentally friendly products. I worked in the industry some fifty plus years ago when everything was mailed in paper and saw the start of plastics, pity we as a society didn’t have the foresight to see the impact that plastic would have on the world.
Keep up the good work 👍
Regards
Bill

Morning Bill,
Thanks for understanding and I do understand where you are coming from.
I would stress though as Dave Clewer pointed out, the envelopes CAN be recycled.
Additionally we are very much for the environment in this household using natural cleaning products, Smol dishwasher/washing machine products, Kohl natural cleaning products, soaps instead of shower gel, Body Shop products where plastics are recyclable, Waterhaul sunglasses made from fishing line collected from beaches etc etc
Cheers, Martin

Back