• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Carp Rods

Vincent Coulson

Hi all,

Never fished for them before but I m going to have a go for them over the next few seasons when conditions dictate. The waters I will be fishing don't require huge casts 30-40 yards being the furthest, with much of the fishing done closer than this. Carp being high duobles to mid 20's. There are also some smallish cats, into double figures present, 20lb+ being a good one but achievable.

So, could anyone recommend me a decent rod. I have two 1.75lb Wychwood Rogue rods I have been using for tench fishing and have had carp up to 16lb but they obviously start to feel under gunned at the net at this weight. I dont want to go too 'broom handle' and I'd still like to feel the fight so to speak. Im not bothered if the rods are older models and this would be preferable as I'd like to get them off eBay or something similar as money is a bit tight at present.

Thanks for any input and advice in advance!

Have a look around for some 2.25lb TC specimen rods or 2.5lb max.

A pair of floodwater rods might be useful all round :)

Stephen

Vincent, personally I would be gearing up for the cats, they really can pull, I would not go on a water with cats armed with less than a 3 1/4 TC carp rod, preferably heavier. If you look for a tip action rather than a through action you will still feel everything very well and not feel like you are using a poker.

I personally wouldn't be looking at anything over 2.75lb tc mate.

Even if the cats run to 20lb+ you'll have enough power to turn them with that test curve.

Well I wont be targeting the cats though Im aware they'll eat anything! Those chub outkasts seem ok to me, excellent price and some nice reviews. Might have a look around for some of those, £60 new is a good price though.

Thanks a lot for the replies people!

I own more than my fair share of carp rods, from 2lb up to 3.25lb. Some cost a fortune others £30. These £30 rods are jrc rods of 3lb tc i have three of these and i use them in France for my Carp trips. I have caught carp to over 40lbs on these and cats to over 70lbs. I must say they are the best £30 i have ever spent, nice action not too stiff. They come in lighter versions 2.5, 2.75lb. A lot of of Bailiffs on French lakes use them as they bomb proof and cheap.

Plenty of cheap quality rods on eBay, the tackle tarts have to have the latest gear which makes a healthy second hand market.

I would also stick to the 2.5lb, I landed a 20+lb Tope on a Wychwood one I was spinning for bass with.

Excellent, have a few in my watch list now. Thanks a lot guys. Looking forward to getting a chance to use them. Well, once I win them that is.

You could do a whole lot worse than a couple of second hand fox warrior or daiwa powermesh 2.5lb tc. Easily within your price range off ebay. Both bullet proof rods and in my opnion way better than the outcasts for what you want them for.

A couple of people have mentioned the Fox Warriors, and I already have a pair in my watch list now. Once again, many thanks for the replies. At least I know Im on the right track.

Vincent, try and get hold of a pair of 2nd hand mk1 ESP 2lb 9oz Terry Hearn rods, they will do you very nicely, nice lightish action without being floppy and they will chuck a 3oz lead a fair distance if needs be.

You could do a whole lot worse than a couple of second hand fox warrior or daiwa powermesh 2.5lb tc. Easily within your price range off ebay. Both bullet proof rods and in my opnion way better than the outcasts for what you want them for.

Buy the original Powermesh if you can, better than the subsequent models, IMHO. They aren't held in the same regard as the likes of the Amorphous Kevin Nash from the same era, so don't command the daft prices. Mine won't ever be sold because they are far better small water rods than anything modern I've found and they don't command prices that makes selling them worthwhile.

I have used 2lb TC north westerns both in 11ft and 12ft excellent for smallish waters had upper 30s on them no problem

would go heavier if very weedy

also very good for barbel

you can pick these up cheap second hand

My post earlier was working under the assumption that there is a possibility of hooking 20lb plus catfish and also that there are other people also fishing the water. As such you need to gear up for it, you need to be able to stop and hold that fish reasonably within the swim you are fishing. All those advising lighter rods need to ask themselves would they advise less than 1lb TC for barbel fishing.
If any of you Noddy's turn up on waters I'm fishing with your undergunned Noddy gear and wipe out my rods as a result of not being able to handle what you have hooked you'll be going for a swim! ;)

But they ain't cheap, s/h ones are around £250 each

I picked my set of three up for £180... And that's £60 each not 180 each.

As for being under gunned.... Ian if I ever see you tench fishing on any of my waters with your noddy 1.75 rods and you go on to hook a 40+ carp that wipes out my rods, trust me it is YOU who will be going for a swim ;)

Seriously Vincent you will not need a rod with a test curve of more than 2.75, any more and you will be massively over gunned for the carp that you will be aiming to catch. And you WILL be able to handle and land the cats on a rod with that test curve... Taken from another forum;

"Soft rods bend more they are therefore shorter under pressure. Measured between angler and tip eye.

Stiff casting rods retain their length.

Rods act like a lever, but unfortunately for the angler, one that works in the favour of the fish.

Would you give the fish a long or a short lever to use against you given the choice?"

Simple physics methinks.....

Back