• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Carp Floater Fishing

The only problem with the beachcaster rig is that once the carp get knobbled on what appears to them to be a perfectly safe bait is that the surface fishing can become extremely difficult later on. I've seen really good floater waters become almost impossible after a couple of years on the beachcaster. Still it is an extremely effective fish catcher but not the easiest rig to master. Me i prefer the stalking approach and catching them out the edge.

Hooklength - 5 foot of 8lb Drennan double strength for me - make sure its the gold labelled floating variety. Be minded that after each fish you might have to replace the line as it can be prone to kinking/damage drastically reducing breaking strain. Use in conjunction smaller korda wide gape hooks.

Beach casting is a great method - lots of views for & against. Can be a little fiddly for those whose not seen this used before, tho the principles straight forward enough. Savage takes too.

Chum mixers a firm favourite but also consider cat biscuits like munchies, lots of different shapes & shades. A bit different & esp good as they all not a standard size. Baits quite small for catapulting more than 20-30 yards so either place freebies in a spod or catapult PVA bag. For preparation of chum mixers, put in maggot box, pour boiling water, instantly drain & cover just prior to leaving home for bankside - slightly softer so easier to hook (side hooking or on hair) & slightly extra mass can get an extra 10 yards with catapult.

Fish with the wind behind you so you can slowly get that bait trail in water - but be mindful that carp on some waters will follow & be located at the end of a new warm wind. Fish will take baits more confidently in choppy waters for obvious reasons. Try & fish just inside the edge of the chop if there is a little flat water where the fish are. If possible, over cast bait beyond fish & very slowly reel bait close to where the fish are feeding.

On a few waters, carp not that keen on biscuits. Bread can be a really good alternative in these circumstances, tho requires a bit more micro management due to little longevity.

Arm oneself with polaroids & a pair of binoculars to see the fish a little closer.

One of the most exciting forms of fishing in my opinion.

Good luck & enjoy

Jon

Last edited:
Back