• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Carp - Controller fishing: Line recommendation

Jon Whelan

I am presently mixing up my fishing with a bit of stalking/surface fishing for carp until the cooler end of the season comes round for barbel fishing.

For surface fishing (controller with bread & pet biscuits) I presently use Drennan Double strength & have done for many a season. Even so, I was hoping that a better line might be out there that could have better properties.

I have been looking at Shimano Antares Silk Shock which has even thinner diameters than the double strength but am unsure as to its suitability for surface fishing application.

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this or other lines that they have had good experiences that they might want to share/recommend?

Many thanks in advance,

Jon

I use pro clear Can't remember the brand. GLT / terry eustace perhaps. I don't know, will have to check the spool

Last edited:
Preston Power Reflo 8lb 15oz (0.21mm), 11lb (0.24mm) and 12lb 5oz (0.26mm).

Not the hardest wearing line ever made but better regards abrasion resistance than Drennan D.S, also lower diameter and a greater degree of suppleness.

Jon, ive been doing this for years, mainly free lining biscuit where possible, this year i have tried the Kords Kruiser controll, its been very good as up to yet in both the 10lb and 8lb.

Thanks to all for your responses. I had not heard of the Preston lines & had heard good comments re the korda too. I will be visiting my outlets tomorrow morning to have a gander & hopefully give one of these a bash early next week.

Many thanks again.

Jon

Had a play today with both Antares & the Reflo. No problems with neither, instant results with both & every take resulted in a fish. The Antares is very slightly finer. Looking forward to a bit more fun tomorrow.

Thanks again, Jon

i loved technium, caught loads off the surface with it, strong stuff in 10lb.

Antares Silk Shock

I've used the Antares Silk Shock quite a lot for surface fishing for carp - always the 11lb version which I have tested and breaks consistently at 8lb. I like it a lot but wouldn't consider it for anything where stronger rope or abrasion resistance is needed.

Another vote for Preston Power Pro.
I use it quite a bit for floater fishing.

I also use it for all my float fishing hook lengths, very consistent and very durable, I cannot recommend it enough!

And no I am not sponsored by them!!

Thanks for the further comments. Had some more fun paste & controller fishing Sunday. Agreed on points made so far: Antares, better in the heavier breaking strain for our needs & to use open water fishing - for me I would say that if I was fishing for better fish, I would use a new rig per fish landed. The Power Reflo seems a slightly hardier line although very slightly thicker (strong word) & would, at this point use the Reflo over the Antares in instances where it matters more. Both cracking lines tho. See what further use(s) find.

Thanks again,

Jon

Back