• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Cape Verde - marlin fishing. Information requested.

Gavin Hoe-Richardson

Having ticked off another target at the weekend I'm looking for some information about marlin fishing off the Cape Verde Islands for my next mission.

Has anyone got any experience there? Any recommendations on which boats/Skippers?

I've found a few bits on the Internet but not a great deal. Thanks in advance.

Hi Gavin, this won't help with your question I know, but did you look at Madeira? It's worth a look if not. Relatively short flight from a big game fishing perspective and some fantastic fishing and the prospect of monster fish. It's other big plus is that you don't have to wait long to get fishing-often within 20 mins of leaving the harbour. Had a wonderful 80lb stripped marlin the last time I was there.

Thanks Howard, yes, I've done Madeira and most of the Canaries but marlin season there is the summer time when I'm somewhat preoccupied on British rivers! Cape Verde marlin tend to be all year round.

Similarly I've fished for them off Ascension Island in the winter but not much there to occupy my wife when I'm out fishing!

Had bluefin tuna of 660lb and 550lb on Sunday, very satisfying!

Jeepers. That's putting the big into big game fishing that is. Were the bites those sensitive ones, where you are not sure if its the wind or a bit of seaweed hitting the line? Sitting on your hands until you get a more positive indication, something worth striking at?

Did a bit of research on the Islands about 10 years ago, indeed some excellent fishing with unusually long seasons. Wasn't that easy finding out specifics and there's quite a few very varied Islands spread over a wide area. I concluded that my best bet was to go out for holiday, try some of the shore fishing, reputedly good in places, gain some local knowledge, then return for a serious go at the really big stuff.
Things I did find out were that it's windy all the time, temperatures are good and some personal protection could be a good idea!
The financial crash put paid to my plans and things may be a bit different now. Best of luck with your mission, certainly loads of potential. Let us know how you get on.

Jeepers. That's putting the big into big game fishing that is. Were the bites those sensitive ones, where you are not sure if its the wind or a bit of seaweed hitting the line? Sitting on your hands until you get a more positive indication, something worth striking at?

Howard , as a child when fishing off Whitby for the Tunny ,I used to touch ledger with a hand line , bites were rare but unmistakeable :D

Gavin a couple of years ago a mate of mine in GC recommended happy hooker out of Sal.I kept looking for more details on the Internet about said boat but nearly ended in divorce as the wife did not belive I was looking for a fishing boat!
I was looking at Mindelino marina as there some boats run out of there.

Thanks Ken, bit by bit I'm learning more.

Seems a common name for charter boats, better than one of the Mersey angling boats 'Size Matters'.:rolleyes:

I seem to recall that the Islands had some connection to Italy and Italians have been fishing there for some years before the direct flights started.
Might be worth a look in the Italian Angling press?

Just got back from Sal and you can forget about the big game fishing at Santa Maria town at the moment. Two days into the holiday i managed to get out for a half day shared boat (4) with Cabo Verde big game fishing ,the only boat advertised on Sal i could find/see.The quality of gear was poor,they had only one heavy rod trolling a kona head, no teasers no downrigger.The other rods were geared mostly for small tuna,the tourists easy catch fish. Muppets and rusty rapalas produced one very tiny 2lb tuna over 5 afternoon hours.The crew were native, the owner who does not come aboard was Italian.A friend was already booked for the next morning and their 5 hours produced 2 slightly bigger Tuna (6 lb).The boat was 500 euros for 5 hours so you should expect a better service. Thompsons fly to Sal and boa vista so it might be worth looking at Boa Vista or another Island for a better quality service

I visited the dock/fish market quite a few times and did not see any marlin and only 1 sailfish,and everything was being killed.At least with the shared boat i did not waste too much money.

Back