• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Cane and Pin

Tim, are you saying that you can retrieve line with a pin without pumping the rod, but can't do the same with a fixed spool reel?

Tim, are you saying that you can retrieve line with a pin without pumping the rod, but can't do the same with a fixed spool reel?

not wishing to argue but surely if the clutch is tight you should be able to reel in without pumping, surely you can exert more in fact because of the size of the handle compared to a pins handle you can grab hold and wind.

Have 2 Cane Wallis Wizards and a MK4 Carp, they were my dads , used them as a boy , never really felt the urge to bend them in anger!

Hi Neil. I don't understand your post. What has a slipping clutch on a fixed-spool reel got to do with having to pump the rod when retrieving line?

And yes, I own some of the best fixed-spool reels available, with tremendous clutches. The best I've come across is the Daiwa TDR, but I still have to pump the rod to retrieve line when using it, which is why I prefer not to use it when barbel fishing.

It seems you are making it sound as the rest of us take on the pose of pumping up cod from the side of a boat. Why on earth would I find the need to pump Barbel,:eek: I assume you mean dipping the rod, then lifting to retrieve the slack!! Can you imagine the result mostly in doing that?

Actually I can, I recall in horror that scenario last summer when I was in to a big lump on the Lower Severn, and it was just firm on the bottom of the river about 6 ft from the bank, I did try 'hauling' and we parted company, otherwise I let the rod and the clutch take the strain, keeping the rod high.

This is an interesting concept and contrary to what most anglers, including myself, probably think. We're probably thinking of a fixed-spool with the clutch tight (as Chris stated) and all the available cranking power that a good modern reel has at its disposal. However, as most of us probably only reel-in line after we've pumped the rod, perhaps we're in the wrong here. I can see the physics of how a centrepin is taking line in directly in line with the force being applied by the fish as opposed to the rotation of a bail arm at ninety degrees to such an axis, but having caught only one barbel on a centrepin (and trust me the fish had the upper hand due to my inexperience!) I will reserve judgement until I've tried to do this with both types of reel. This is an interesting one and would, I'm sure, generate many posts if it were on a different thread.It would also undoubtedly get quite heated! Happy New Year when it arrives....

As a split cane rod maker, I use cane for nearly all of my fishing. I feel it adds a great amount of pleasure and enjoyment to my fishing which I just do not get with mass produced carbon rods. This season on my own hand planed rods I have landed barbell to 12lb, carp to 27lb, pike to 21lb and zander over 12lb. Most of which where also caught using a pin. I never feel using traditional tackle puts me at any disadvantage to those using modern gear, sometimes it is a distinct advantage!
Home - Ryan Burns

Maybe you will be making bone hooks to go with your cane rods and pins and hey! why not get some catgut lines - super anal stuff here in my book! but hey whatever floats your boat.

Seasons felicitations Geoff . Super anal ? I am only using a wooden rod and a centre pin on occasion! .Anyway bone hooks are brittle , plaited horse hair is OK , but I like horses with tails so I will stick with mono Cat gut is just rubbish , too thick , smells rank .

Last edited:
This is an interesting concept and contrary to what most anglers, including myself, probably think. We're probably thinking of a fixed-spool with the clutch tight (as Chris stated) and all the available cranking power that a good modern reel has at its disposal.

Hi Anthony. There's much more "cranking power" with a centrepin, should you need or want to use it. Obviously, the centrepin itself needs to be up to the job and the one I'm now using was purpose-built specifically for barbel fishing, with a beefed up drag, line pillars etc.

Hi Anthony. There's much more "cranking power" with a centrepin, should you need or want to use it. Obviously, the centrepin itself needs to be up to the job and the one I'm now using was purpose-built specifically for barbel fishing, with a beefed up drag, line pillars etc.

Yes I get that, in a physics sense with the pin drum being in line with the rod, simple levers, but the fixed spool has some pretty cute tricks that a pin could never match, casting for one, and then gearing, clutch, and so on, but it really does come to horses for courses.

i was an avid user of built cane rods for around 40 years but i found after a long absence of 10 years i returned once more to barbel fishing, todays fish are so much bigger now and likewise powerful fighting fish, my cane rods are either now sold off or still a few under my bed but todays modern rods are so much more suitable for the task:)
as far as reeling a fish in i have always found that letting the rod tire the fish 1st the retreiving the line and fish doesnt take undue pressure

Last edited:
i was an avid user of built cane rods for around 40 years but i found after a long absence of 10 years i returned once more to barbel fishing, todays fish are so much bigger now and likewise powerful fighting fish, my cane rods are either now sold off or still a few under my bed but todays modern rods are so much more suitable for the task:)
as far as reeling a fish in i have always found that letting the rod tire the fish 1st the retreiving the line and fish doesnt take undue pressure

Spot on John, if cane was the better material I would use it, but modern technology has given us the right tools.

But I do get sentiment.

Back