• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Camo Waterproof/Windproof Jacket?

John Cook

Hi All,

Im looking to get a 3/4 length camo waterproof/ windproof jacket, not to expensive!!!!!

Your thoughts please:)

Hi John,
most of these jackets are very expensive, depending on the make, could be £200 plus, and lets be honest, you only get what you pay for.
You could try the army surplus stores, a camo Goretex jacket should cost you around £50 quid, and Goretex is one of the best.
One of our army anglers could advise you further.
Brian.

Hi Brian,

I have had a quick look at the army surpless jackets but they all seem lightweight with no padding, not much cop for colder weather...

A good fleece worn underneath is the way to go, in the summer rainy months the jacket can be carried in your bag ready for the rain, the choice is yours, so if you want a winter suit, then the tackle trade stock loads, all different makes and prices, and there are some very good deals at the moment, use the internet and shop around.
good luck.
Brian

John, look at the Dutch army Goretex jackets, nice and long, totally waterproof,you'll get a good one for around £50. Snugpack Elite softie waistcoat/vest is all the insulation you'll ever need, £40 ish, sorted.

I have had a quick look at the army surpless jackets but they all seem lightweight with no padding, not much cop for colder weather...

The military stuff is meant to be part of a layered system of clothing. I don't recall a British military issue waterproof jacket with padding/insulation in the last 25 years (plus). There may have been amongst Arctic issue gear but not, to my knowledge, amongst the temperate kit.

I have to agree with Brian. A good set of base layers, decdent jumper and fleece will keep you warmer with a lighter weight waterproof/windproof jacket over the top. A wise investment in a snood for your neck will help retain a lot of heat along with a decent hat.

John, look at the Dutch army Goretex jackets, nice and long, totally waterproof,you'll get a good one for around £50. Snugpack Elite softie waistcoat/vest is all the insulation you'll ever need, £40 ish, sorted.

Am with you on this simon, used the dutch stuff when I was in the forces myself, its thicker than the UK gortex and has more pockets 1st class

I have to agree with Brian. A good set of base layers, decdent jumper and fleece will keep you warmer with a lighter weight waterproof/windproof jacket over the top. A wise investment in a snood for your neck will help retain a lot of heat along with a decent hat.

Oh gawd Stuart, not another type of jumper I have to go out and buy :D

Joking aside, I agree 100% with your post mate.

Cheers, Dave.

I was in the forces myself, its thicker than the UK gortex and has more pockets 1st class

Showing your age, Centurion. The second last issue (DPM) Gore-Tex didn't have any pockets. Not sure about latest pattern, for some strange reason they won't give me any.;):D

Thanks for your thoughts lads, excuse my ignorance but whats the difference between goretex and a jacket thats windproof/waterproof???

Showing your age, Centurion. The second last issue (DPM) Gore-Tex didn't have any pockets. Not sure about latest pattern, for some strange reason they won't give me any.;):D

I was in the proper forces Chris not the brill cream lot you belong too :D:D:D:D, You dont get proper goretex that was reserved for the fighting forces;);):D:D

Although the UK stuff was/is good the Dutch stuff is better especially the 3/4 length jackets, same pattern as UK stuff but thicker and has breast and hip pockets;) if you serve with them you reap the rewards, had a Dutch leopard battalion stationed with us for over 10 years.:cool::cool:

I was in the proper forces Chris not the brill cream lot you belong too :D:D:D:D, You dont get proper goretex that was reserved for the fighting forces;);):D:D

I'm surprised you can remember that far back! What possible use would I have for Brylcreem, Centurion? I knew there was a reason that you liked Piercebridge so much, it's your old garrison!;):p

I'm surprised you can remember that far back! What possible use would I have for Brylcreem, Centurion? I knew there was a reason that you liked Piercebridge so much, it's your old garrison!;):p

I barely remember its been so long ago ;);) anyway when I was in they were needing them not feeding them ;);) mate Brylcream is used by your lot in more ways than one, so Ive been told :D:D:D:D

Last edited:
I barely remember its been so long ago ;);) anyway when I was in they were needing them not feeding them ;);) mate Brylcream is used by your lot in more ways than one, so Ive been told :D:D:D:D

Really? What vivid, and disturbing, fantasies you pongoes have!:p

Boys, a lot of valid points raised about army Goretex both British and others.

As Brian alludes to I wear my issue Goretex a lot for fishing (perk of the job);)

The best of which is the latest version of the POL (Petrol, Oil and lubricant) protective clothing which for some reason is also made of Goretex:confused:

It comprises of a Bib & Brace style trousers and a 1/2 length Jacket with hood.
Unfortunately they are also like Rocking Horse Do Do unless you know anyone in the Logistic Corps with access;)

If you can't get the above, try and get hold of the slightly older British army Jacket with a permanent wired hood and and outer pockets. These are a slightly heavier material and longer at 3/4 length;)

I also wear a French army Goretex jacket which is also quite good.

As correctly pointed out all modern military breathable clothing is designed to be worn as a system of layers which is a much more effecient method of keeping comfortable and dry in all but the harshest conditions;)

A word of warning though. All breathable clothing will leak in heavy rain if it has not been looked after and reproofed regularly (yearly).

Last edited:
The Army Issue Gortex jacket is designed to be water and wind proof. It is designed to be worn over whatever you are wearing, hence co padding. It isnt really designed for warmth.
I have several, the latest multi terrain pattern is most likely the best I have had over the last 25 years........

Back