• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

camera help

Steve Foran

Does anyone know where i can get a converter for a camera to take pictures of myself when im on my own, on bfw about 2 years ago someone put a link on but i cant find it. Can anyone help? cheers steve.

Steve what do you do when you are on your own then:rolleyes:

Steve,..I assume you mean a camera adaptor that screws into a bankstick?
If so, try Gardner Tackle camera adaptor/ angle,..I,ve just seen some on Poingdestre's site.

Last edited:
As mentioned, Gardner adapter to mount camera on bank stick, there is a good "scaffold" type adapter to allow any cameras shutter to be remotely operated via bulb release. Johnson Ross tackle now stock them or available fro GRS Griturn. Bout £34 from either. Hope that helps.

What is even better than a remote is an intervalometer. As long as your camera will accept an electronic timer (not all will) then it is a simple matter of setting the device up to wait n seconds before the first shot then take n number of shot n seconds apart. All you have to do is pick up the fish and pose. Trying to kneel or step on a bulb remote often leads to an expression on your face akin to that of having wind. Using the intervalometer means you just have to concentrate on the fish and the pose.

This is one for a Canon 650D and it is this style you should be looking for .... Ebay: 370797649931

Stick Intervalometer into the search function for other models

Mick, sounds good but what about taking shots that require a flash? Presumably you have to set an interval that allows the flash to recharge?

I got one of the gardener scaffold jobs for a fiver from a boot sale, couldn't believe my luck. If you are not so lucky though just google self take adapter and loads of them come up.
My little cannon also takes ten shots for one squeeze of the bulb so thats all good as well.

Mick, sounds good but what about taking shots that require a flash? Presumably you have to set an interval that allows the flash to recharge?

Yes of course. I use a Canon 1000D and I find 5 second intervals are fine for that (a tad longer in winter). Which means that once you have picked the fish up and posed 4 shots cover 15 seconds which is pretty slick.

camera self timer

The best way I found of taking pictures when your on your own is the Kaiser air release £30 from anglers net.co.uk.I've took better photos with this adapter than when someone else takes them

Steve wrote:
[QUOTEI've took better photos with this adapter than when someone else takes them
][/QUOTE]

I've found the same with my system. When others use your camera who are not familiar with it, depressing the button slightly and therefore focusing the camera, doesn't always happen as it should. As a consequence you can end up with a disappointingly blurred image.

Thank You for the replys and for the special sarcastic one from Mr Prince. I hope i am on the river next time you catch a double and ask me to take ur picture, i will act deaf my wen my phone rings.:D Anthony and Robert Thank You thats what ive been looking for. Tight lines

Last edited:
Anthony, I entirely agree with what you say about people who are not familiar with a camera messing up by not part depressing the button to achieve focus before fully depressing it to take the shot....but do I assume from that comment that you DO have delicate enough control with your system to do just that? Like many folk, I am trying to get this wretched self-take stuff to work satisfactorily, so this all interesting stuff for me.

So, as I say....can you achieve the double depression to take a shot correctly with your kit?...and if so, how do you know (when you are 6' away and on the wrong side of the camera) when/if you have successfully achieved the first part to get a focuss, before going ahead and pressing it fully down?

I am pretty sure I couldn't do that with my camera...but then I do most of my barbel catching in the dark/semi dark (which perhaps you don't?) and I am pretty hard of hearing....so perhaps that is why you can and I couldn't?

Cheers, Dave.

Do some trial runs at home and use a bit of cord to get the right distance to correctly frame the picture,keep this as a guide in your camera bag.In addition I always use a bank stick with an empty juice carton on top to check height etc this will also help you focus,next you need some light perhaps a couple of headtorches around a bait bucket and use the timer to fire of a series of continuous shots.One final tip most auto focus options don't work in low light levels so you will have to do it on manual.

Hope this is of use.

David, it's surprising how well an air ball and release cable do the job. The cable seems to extend slowly enough for the it to depress the button so that the camera does indeed focus accurately before the continued squeezing depresses it far enough to take the shot. I'll send you a couple of my shots (day and night captures) to show you the results.

(NB The camera I use has a flashing light on the front which indicates it is in the process of focusing).

Here's one from yesterday:

Only a tiddler, but on the hottest day of the year so far it was worth its weight in gold!

Last edited:
Back