• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Calling Float makers.

Adrian Cole

Hi

OK, I appreciate that this has been done to death. I have searched and read the threads in the archive but not really found what I want.

I am looking for where I can get the materials for the 'Bristle' or shaft of the float. I have got some standard cane skewers and these are a nice material but a little thin (2-3mm) I got some 4mm ones off ebay but thy measured the same size as the normal ones :confused:

I have read that a certain reed can be used but it does not hold paint very well?

Secondly, Pole floats. Are these just limited to use on Poles... They do seem very sensitive and wondered if they would be good for Perch as they do not like resistance on the take.

Any suggestions for materials and places to purchase would be good thanks.

Cheers

Adie

Adrian,

Pole floats certainly don't have to be limited to use with a pole mate!

Pole floats are great for delicate baiting species on a running line, rod and reel set-up.

I've used them for years, for crucian & rudd fishing mainly.

Obviously, there is a limit, as they certainly don't fit the bill for every situation. But for margin work, up to a couple of rod lengths out, they're great.

Give them a try.

Daz.

Adrian,

Pole floats certainly don't have to be limited to use with a pole mate!

Pole floats are great for delicate baiting species on a running line, rod and reel set-up.

I've used them for years, for crucian & rudd fishing mainly.

Obviously, there is a limit, as they certainly don't fit the bill for every situation. But for margin work, up to a couple of rod lengths out, they're great.

Give them a try.

Daz.

Thanks Darreyl, It would be my intention to use them for close up margin work. I see there is a plethora of sizes, can I ask what your recommended size would be for fishing a tasty lob worm would be.

Cheers

Adie

Adrian,

Lobs are quite a heavy bait in themselves, but I think a 1-2g float should do the job.

You obviously need a float that will support the weight if you're fishing off bottom, not so essential if you're hard on the bottom perhaps.

Daz.

Hello Adrian,

Have a good look around your local garden centre for split canes of different length and thickness, some may be painted green. Bristles for pole floats then find a plastic bass broom and you will have hundreds.

ATB
Colin

I am looking for where I can get the materials for the 'Bristle' or shaft of the float. I have got some standard cane skewers and these are a nice material but a little thin (2-3mm) I got some 4mm ones off ebay but thy measured the same size as the normal ones :confused:

Adie

I have used wooden cocktail sticks before

Steve

So have I, but found them brittle - annoying when you've spent hours on a float you could buy for a quid.

For fine, flexible bristles find a good old-fashioned stiff yardbroom with natural brown bristles.

Back