• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

C/Pin Question.... (go easy)

Andy Shaw

My mate had a dabble with my pin and is now thinking of getting one himself...
This is the bit we feel silly about......

He is left handed.

Now, can he just use the same one as mine but just turn it around and spool it up?

Thanks in advance,

slightyly embarrased andy lol....

In the main yes no problem but check for drag/check lever placement once turned around.
However some pins make this difficult due to Fixed Line Guard (eg Grice & Young Avon Crown) or special drag (eg Okuma Trent) - what pin is it?

Dont get an X-pin, get the Dragon Carp centrepin.
It's the same reel at a fraction of the price.

Have a look at the IKONIX thread on here.

Regards,
Jeff

I am a left hooker . With the exceptions that Daryll has pointed out centre pins are essentially ambidextrous and there should be no problems for your mate

Blimey!!

Didn't know right handers could use them as well............................Neat!!!:)

id give my left arm to be ambidextrous........................:p

This is the bit we feel silly about......

slightyly embarrased andy lol

Why feel silly Andy, even if you're slightly joking? Everyone has to learn.

Pretty much as Darryl said (sorry to repeat :D). There are some pins that aren't for lefties, the Okuma Trent for example. You might find the ratchet lever (or knob) is not in the best place for a leftie though - so best your mate tries one.

I updated my Centrepin article a few weeks ago, and added a section about using one left-handed ....... now this is ME being embarassed .............. I've lost my updates somewhere between my desktop and laptop and flashstick .......... and I'm supposed to know about this 'puta stuff :eek:

paul4

had a look at one of those okuma trents for carping, being sold by a left handed guy for that reason, didn't get it in the end. i do have an old grice and young left handed royal avon and the ratchet lever is in the perfect place for me as a right handed angler, i just don't use the line guard even thought of drilling out the rivets to remove it:eek:

the ikonix does look like a nice pin and great value and the old tfg/dragon one has loads of fans but whatever you get its a nice way of catching fish;)

He ordered one from dragon this morning and got me another one aswell.
Just had a play with my one and seems fine left or right.

Think they have sold out again but if anyone is after trying a pin and don't want to spend a lot on one to find out if they get on with it then this is for you, have had mine over a year and still works as good as it did the day I got it, have had carp, tench, chub and barbel on it and is a joy to use.

Andy
Don't be embarrassed at all mate we all had to learn, I still am!

You should see me cast the float, I run the line from the top and am a southpaw to boot, I look like a right plonker, have done for years!!!

Have a look at Paul’s site you will learn a lot, then just go out and do it, don't worry about what others think and don't worry if your Wallace cast is not perfect, the first big fish on the bank will just make those anglers that do it the easy way with a fixed spool wish they had your perseverance.

There is nothing, just nothing like playing a good fish and beating it on a pin.

Still think the line should come off the top though!!

Hi Andy,
Tried to order one of the Dragon Carp reels last week,but was told their next delivery is February.Do you think it's worth trying to re-order.I know they must be good because Jed(Wandle) recently bought one.

Regards
Pete

He rang yesterday morning and managed to get two, was Jed who got me into getting one.. Have never had any problems with mine, will be on the river tomorrow if you want to try it out..
Drop me a pm if your about and will let you know where I am.

Just ordered one off Dragoncarp. They have a few left but not enough to put on website.

Good stuff, Bob. I can see that, together with the other recent purchase you told me about privately, you are well on your way to fishing for, er, mere fun and all the uncool, wide-grinning, totally unserious, fall-about joy (not to mention quiet, private satisfaction) that it can bring. What next, I wonder? Understanding that that our great-grandfathers got it about right, and that we were sold a pile of poo by a bunch of ("Available from a good tackle-shop / discounter near you for a very reasonable [to us] ton-and-a-half of squid") initially enthusiastically watched, recently arrived, soon to depart, Meeja Men...?

Paul,
I would just get them ready for action and the still waters would be open for some winter carping...:D. I have already gone back to basics with most of my fishing and just taking what I need rather what I can cram into rucksac. Have you any tips on casting just for ledgering as where I fish is overgrown and mainly underhand casting...?

Bob.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tip? The simplest of underhand of assisted lobs that might be termed "Wallis Cast Lite" by someone who likes to call things names but is called nothing by someone wiser who knows that calling anything "Wallis Cast" scrambles both the user's brain and reel, resulting in some interesting tangles.

Just wind your bait in, swing the lead in to your winding hand (leaving the bait dangling below), place the "V" between your thumb and first finger of the same hand over the line just above the reel, transferring as you do so the lead to the same thumb-tip and fingertip, then, with the rod held a little below straight in front of you, drop the lead, lift the rod gently causing the lead and bait to pendulum out river-ward, and at the very same moment gently sweeping back your "line-trapping hand" a foot or so to set the reel spinning a little. Out goes the lead and tackle, with the now-spinning reel feeding line to it through the gap between the thumb and first finger of your "line trapping hand", slow the reel drum with the thumb of your rod hand just before the tackle hits the water, then stop completely as it does so.

Same cast can be done without holding the lead, with it just hanging from the rod tip (even as it is being swung in through the air towards you). So quick, so easy, as the weight of the lead and the very short distance that tackle has to be lobbed in many barbel-fishing situations obviates the frequent, early days, birdsnest nightmares of a proper, going for it, light float-tackle, distance Wallis Cast.

Last edited:
Back