• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

BUYING a used reel

Gerry Giles

Senior Member & Supporter
I have a good mate with a rubbish pension so very limited budget
thats returning to fishing he has a Shimano 510 gt baitrunner that he bought new when it was released and and never used it much back then but now he loves it and has been looking for a second one

BUT !!! here is the problem as I see it
if you buy a used reel you have no idea how well or not its been looked after ?...............so personally I would pay someone to service it so you have to factor this in the cost and this could end up not being cost effective its no good saying service it yourself as due to his age he is not capable
so I have been trying to help him look but is a bit of a nightmare

You can only got on gut instinct and feedback.... But they're hardy reels, so do take some punishment. You can always give it a little service.

I bought a couple new in the 90s - wont ever sell them.

Jon’s right, there is very low risk in buying used GT baitrunners as they tend to just work forever.

You can always tell with those old shimanos if they have had a hard life or not by the decals. Looked after examples seem to retain their decals pretty much complete and ones that have had a hard life not so much. It’s not an exact science but it’s a good start.
The other thing to note is their weak points only really fail when people mess with them.
There’s a lot of tiny springs in a GT baitrunner and they are fine till someone pokes at them.

If he buys a good Working example then I’d say it’s going to be a decent reel. It might be bone dry and want a service at some point and I can help with that. My rates are very reasonable especially if someone sends me a pair.

Jon’s right, there is very low risk in buying used GT baitrunners as they tend to just work forever.

You can always tell with those old shimanos if they have had a hard life or not by the decals. Looked after examples seem to retain their decals pretty much complete and ones that have had a hard life not so much. It’s not an exact science but it’s a good start.
The other thing to note is their weak points only really fail when people mess with them.
There’s a lot of tiny springs in a GT baitrunner and they are fine till someone pokes at them.

If he buys a good Working example then I’d say it’s going to be a decent reel. It might be bone dry and want a service at some point and I can help with that. My rates are very reasonable especially if someone sends me a pair.
Thanks Rich thats good advice and was going to ask you if you did 510 gt reels
trouble is buying on facebook or ebay you can only go by the pictures or if a member on here posts up one in classifieds ! can you give an idea on the labour charge for servicing one as it wont be a pair he only needs one reel

Hi Gerry,

I would like to echo the advice given in the thread posts.
Over the last two years I have bought 4 gts via ebay (6010s).
No problems whatsoever, and the decal advice is the giveaway.

There are a couple of 510's up at the mo, and as they are not new and sexy...cough :)
the prices are not crazy.

Its heartening that not only you are looking out for your friend, but that help and friendship
flows back out from the guys on BFW.

Thanks Rich thats good advice and was going to ask you if you did 510 gt reels
trouble is buying on facebook or ebay you can only go by the pictures or if a member on here posts up one in classifieds ! can you give an idea on the labour charge for servicing one as it wont be a pair he only needs one reel
It’s really not worth it for 1 Gerry.
I charge £15 for 1 reel or £25 for 2 but the issue is it’s gonna cost him probably another 10-12 quid to post 1 reel there and back and probably the same to post 2.
If he’s got 1 already and he is intending to buy another that’s 2 reels. Makes much more financial sense because of the post costs to send 2. That’s also the reason why I discounted the rates on 2. To discourage just 1 being sent.

Only thing that's ever 'gone wrong' with my GTs (I have both 8010s & 5010s) is the baitrunner adjustment ring behind the main drag . . .

Only thing that's ever 'gone wrong' with my GTs (I have both 8010s & 5010s) is the baitrunner adjustment ring behind the main drag . . .
This is a proper little holding area for crap and ground bait etc to get into and jam up the ring from moving. It’s actually really easy to fix. That ring comes right off when you remove the drag knob and it’s just a spring loaded plunger that keeps it under tension.
Don’t lose the plunger, replace the spring if needed and clean up the threads……. Good as new again.

It’s really not worth it for 1 Gerry.
I charge £15 for 1 reel or £25 for 2 but the issue is it’s gonna cost him probably another 10-12 quid to post 1 reel there and back and probably the same to post 2.
If he’s got 1 already and he is intending to buy another that’s 2 reels. Makes much more financial sense because of the post costs to send 2. That’s also the reason why I discounted the rates on 2. To discourage just 1 being sent.
yes how dopey I am ! course it would make complete sense to get the reel he already has done at the same time and a fantastic price too
when he or me find a 510 gt
I will be touch top man !!!!

Reels are the tackle items that I've purchased frequently second hand. You generally can't go wrong with the older Shimano 5010 and 6010's and SeaSpins from the 90's. They tend to be robust and I've only had the one that needed a service not long after purchase. Richard is right. Don't take them apart if you don't know what your doing. I don't. A lesson I learnt many years ago. Best of luck with any purchase. You'll be unlucky to buy a duffer.

Back