• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Busted Tip pt2

Martyn Lloyd

Whoops................

The continuing story of the busted rod tip has taken a new twist of my own stupid making.

Someone previously suggested a section of quivertip run through the broken section, I thought I`d give it a go. Ok, it might not last but theres no harm trying!

The quiver section is cut to size and length but I realised that if I glued the section there was no way of getting it pulled through to the top of the rod. So..............I glued a length of line on the very tip, passed that through the rod then pulled the quiver section through to make sure everything worked before gluing it in place......and thats where things went wrong. The diameter of the line has caused the quiver to jam in the rod a good few inches inside. The only way I can think of getting this out is to use some stiff fine bore wire/tube/anything of 0.5mm (the max bore of the rod tip) to tap the stuck section out.

Any suggestions please? I`m as stuck as the quiver section!

Martin, it should come out by tapping the bottom end of the section against a solid surface, just make sure it is square to the surface. You might find throwing it through your fingers towards the surface is needed to get a sharp enough shock. Should not damage the rod section.

With regards gluing in place, all you need to do, once you have established it fits by simply dropping it through the section from the bottom end, is put some araldite on a cocktail stick and and smearing it around the inside of the tip.

You should cut the broken tip square and sand it to stop any cracks developing. You can then put a whipping over the joint to reinforce it more.

Ian, its in a bit solid mate, I gave it one pull too many.................

Martin, only friction is holding it there if you put no glue on, it should come if you keep tapping it hard enough, just tap the section against a surface though, nothing else.

I`ll give it a go Ian but really think that a thin rod might be needed.

Note to self...........never attempt a rod repair at 7am........

Martin, my worry with the thin rod idea is that you might push it between the tip and the rod section and split the rod section..........

Try warming the section where the quivertip is jammed with either a hot air gun,a hairdrier or pouring boiling water over it,it Slightly expands the rod section and the jammed tip should come loose fairly easily,I have used this method on jammed sections on both surf rods and a pike rod,does not damage the blank.
Dave

Warm water or a warm blower...............now theres an idea. The carbon should expand before the glass quiver.

Ta! I`ll give it a twirl!

I have actually found the opposite in the past, the mean diameter will stay the same but the material will expand, i.e. becoming thicker and jamming even harder, recently had this problem with my put over landing net handle. After trying hot water, a hair dryer and hot air gun, my rod builder friend said, no you need cold to make the material contract, i.e. become thinner (i hope that makes sense), I put crushed ice in a bag, wrapped it around the section and after 5 minutes it practically fell apart, I had been trying all sorts for 2 days prior to that.

Loads to try!

Ta for the advice guys, I`ll give it a go in the next few days. Off darn sarth for a bit of carping for the weekend so I`ll let you know what method works early next week.

Ta for all the advice, as always, its much appreciated!

Back