• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Bumping fish

Paul Verity

I was fishing a venue yesterday and had a good session that could have been a special one. I left 3 fish in the river through the hook popping out.
I was fishing a snag peg so went with my chimera no3.
We came to the conclusion the stiffness of the rod was the issue as no other explanation could be had. Any other opinions to confirm or contradict this?
On all 3 occasions the rod was at 90° to the butt, one started taking the line the pop, out came the hook. All tackle retrieved.
Had a 2oz feeder and a 2' fluro hook link. Brand new hook for the next, same result.

Having used Chimera 3's for several seasons I would be surprised if you rod is causing you to bump fish off. Whilst the tip is stiff (ish) the action is very forgiving which is one of the things I like about the rod. From 90 degrees there should be a lot of cushioning left in the blank.

Were you using braid? Was the clutch set tight? What size hook were you using?

I'm used to hook pull with tench and carp, but I would say barbel are the species that I find least prone to hook pull, others may disagree.

Having used Chimera 3's for several seasons I would be surprised if you rod is causing you to bump fish off. Whilst the tip is stiff (ish) the action is very forgiving which is one of the things I like about the rod. From 90 degrees there should be a lot of cushioning left in the blank.

Were you using braid? Was the clutch set tight? What size hook were you using?

I'm used to hook pull with tench and carp, but I would say barbel are the species that I find least prone to hook pull, others may disagree.
Yes my friend a I were trying to find a viable reason. And as you mentioned I find the 3 has plenty of flexibility backed with power. The clutch was tight due to close proximity of the snag. I was using mono, fluro hook link to a 10 curve shank. (8mm) pellet. Chub? I don't think it was with the nature 9d the bite

Yep very rarely get a hook pull on a flood and snag and have used them since they first came out for beast fishing. Fished a pin and braid with the rod for two seasons with few losses. As the other lads said try a slightly bigger hook and maybe change the pattern to a thicker in the wire hook . I always find it better to fish a centre pin when snag fishing you can still wind with the rod right over. Was the hook Barbless Paul ?

I use Chimera 3s a lot on hit and hold swims and honestly never had issues with these rods and mono/fluoro combos
We've been getting some fearsome runs off big chub lately - you would bet your shirt that they are barbel for the first few seconds, so they may well be the culprits?

How, do you set up the hook etc? Shrink tube, kd style, hair length, kicker/tubing, rig ring etc. If its hit and hold you need to be absolutely sure your getting the best hook hold possible.

Yep very rarely get a hook pull on a flood and snag and have used them since they first came out for beast fishing. Fished a pin and braid with the rod for two seasons with few losses. As the other lads said try a slightly bigger hook and maybe change the pattern to a thicker in the wire hook . I always find it better to fish a centre pin when snag fishing you can still wind with the rod right over. Was the hook Barbless Paul ?
No micro barb. They're not straightening just not setting. Never had the issue before and certainly not 50% of bites. I'll have to go back to the wide gape pattern and the biggest issue will be getting them to feed again🤣

How, do you set up the hook etc? Shrink tube, kd style, hair length, kicker/tubing, rig ring etc. If its hit and hold you need to be absolutely sure your getting the best hook hold possible.
Wasn't hit and hold as such just close enough to have more peace of mind with the more powerful rod. Hair so top of the bait was 8-10mm below curve if hook. No kicker. I've used them but mainly on a wide gape pattern to get the reaction that I usually find with the curve shank. As mentioned a first and hopefully not repeated

I’ve had this in the past. Particularly when using braided mainlines or when using long hook lengths and semi fixed feeders. The weight was acting like a leverage point to pop the hook. Try, if you haven’t already, making the feeder free running or at least partly.

I’ve had this in the past. Particularly when using braided mainlines or when using long hook lengths and semi fixed feeders. The weight was acting like a leverage point to pop the hook. Try, if you haven’t already, making the feeder free running or at least partly.
Already was. Nothing complicated. Free running to a hair rig on a 2' hooklink. I've used the same set up many times even to a 12 hook with no notable failed hook ups

Paul, did you feel any of the lost fish at all or did you just pick the rod up after it wrapped round to find it had not hooked up ?. Seen big chub pull the rod round 3 feet taking the boilie from the hair and not getting hooked. Some sections of the Stour the boilie lads would always complain of missing these 'Barbel' bites that were wiley chub.

Paul, did you feel any of the lost fish at all or did you just pick the rod up after it wrapped round to find it had not hooked up ?. Seen big chub pull the rod round 3 feet taking the boilie from the hair and not getting hooked. Some sections of the Stour the boilie lads would always complain of missing these 'Barbel' bites that were wiley chub.
Maybe Mark. I had initially put it down to that. I felt resistance on all but only for a split second which would suggest pulling the bait from the fish rather than the hook not setting? Who knows.

I have seen Barbel do the 3ft twitch and take the boilie off but its very rare. They were British record fish at Adams mill back in the day in clear shallow almost static water. I have also seen Barbel deliberately whack a hook bait with their tail causing what looked like a proper bite, but again heavily pressured fish and very rare. I think those fish were wafting the freebies up into the water and taking anything that came off the bottom. I have had big Barbel pick up a bait and push back with their pecs a couple of inches looking for resistance before spitting out the hookbait. I have also had small barbel give good bites that were not converted on a hair and boilie then changed setup and caught them. Its what makes fishing so interesting sometimes and keeps us trying to answer the questions.

The first thing I thought was perhaps your' bites ' could perhaps be line bites which can be spectacular , as you struck you may have just procked the fish in some part of it's body
I've often wondered if some of the barbel I've pulled out of this season on the Ouse are line bites and as I use a fairly long link at times they may even swim over the hook and catch it!?
Also I've had lots of 'chub' like pulls and come back with half a boilie on 2 occasions!

Back