• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Browning Sphere float rods

Dave Brooksbank

Senior Member & Supporter
After a new 14 to 15ft rod for roach/silvers and have read very positive reviews on the spheres.Anyone own or used one of these in either the match or spliced tip river versions and what are your thoughts.

I love the spliced tip Spheres to the point of buying spares and using little else when on the river. As far as I'm concerned, they are the best trotting rods I've ever tried. They are also a lot more versatile than a spliced tip suggests to many. Whilst they are fine with small fish, they'll handle decent chub and barbel too. Much of my time is spent chasing dace and grayling on northern spate rivers. However, I've had no problems when big chub turn up. I was a little more surprised with how well they coped when barbel have shown up on the Trent.

I also have one of the 13' Match rods. I don't hold it in quite such high regard, but that's largely because I don't use 13' waggler rods that much. It's still a good rod. Again, it's a bit more versatile than such a thin light blank suggests. It's no brute, but I still managed to land a 7lb15oz pb tench on it this year.

The one word of caution I have is that some folks are never going to get on with the handle (material and shaping) or reel seat (shaping). The way I hold the rods, I've found them incredibly comfortable when used with a centrepin. I'm not quite as enamoured with them when a fixed spool reel is fitted. If you can, try before you buy and fit your reel(s) of choice. I can't say that I was overly pleased by the lack of cork when I first got Spheres. After a couple of years using them, it no longer bothers me at all.

Even more willing to spend my cash on one of these now after reading your comments Chris, given your knowledge of float rods and posts I've read of yours over the years.Some other reviews saying its a modern day Titan 2000 if not better,I don't no anyone who's got one, maybe a waggle in a shop that has one,but just gonna order the 15.6 spliced through the cheapest retailer I can find.Got a range of my beloved Abu closed face in various weights to balance the rod so it feels right to me,as for the duplon that I've never been keen on,just have to get use to it,Browning say they designed the the rod with it to give more feel through the blank.

Back