• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Brolly type shelters

have a look at the wychwood solace 2 rib shelter...reviewed on here too.
up in a tick with a bit of practice, set to two hights and above all very light.
see the review .......you may like it. :)

have a look at the wychwood solace 2 rib shelter...reviewed on here too.
up in a tick with a bit of practice, set to two hights and above all very light.
see the review .......you may like it. :)

I have the solace, bought the over wrap for nights/extreme weather... its big enough for 2 people to sit under. If I am on my own I can fit my chub Lo lite my mountain bike (front wheel taken off) and my trailer and sit inside it comfortably!:D

Last edited:
I've not seen one in the flesh, but if you're after something quick to erect but compact, the Nash PegOne day shelter could fit the bill. The storm sides look like they can be pegged quite far forward if needed and the headroom also looks good.

having brought a cheap nylon Umbrella ( £35 ) that leaked blew inside out and the pole bent over I decided to buy the PegOne. used it yesterday for the 1st time,
it took me 1 min to put up including pegging it down, 1 Min to dismantle.

the hardest and longest thing was getting it back in it's bag.

lot's of headroom, plenty of room inside which took not only me and my large chair but also a very large barrow bag/big tackle box/gas stove and other bit's & pieces.

from my one & only experience I wood thoroughly recommend this to anyone.

I will give this 8/10, dropped points for putting back in bag and a little on the large size for small / restricted swims.

At present just using a 50inch nylon brolly, i find that if you remove the centre pole and locate it at the back the coverage over the front top is pretty hopeless ive been soaked many times:( I usually keep the pole in the centre and put it in the ground at an angle so that the brolly is down on the ground behind me, gives better all round coverage but i would still like a 50inch usable without the pole but not big and bulky when packed down..

Am i right in thinking that the korum stormshield can be used with just the storm poles without the centre pole?

I've got the JRC stealth brolly system which is quick to put up, stable and ok for a quick overnighter or two. I also have the korum dayshelter and think this is preferable, having no central spoke to get in the way and also quicker to put up.

It's worth investing in one at £70.

The Chub shelters are worth a look as an alternative to the Korum.
http://www.englandangling.co.uk/displayProduct.asp?prodCode=CBSPS010

Brollie type shelters don't do it for me but this is reputed to be one of the better ones at sensible(ish) money.

If money was no object, given my preference for shelters rather than brollies, then I'd be going for this.
They've recently released a cut down budget version of the above. Unfortunately, I've not seen hide nor hair of any reports on this one.

Chris,

I have the Venture Razorback which looks identical to the AI airframe. Very good kit, worth the money IMO

I don't think that there's any facilty to put a front on the AI without using the optional overwrap. They do look quite similar other than that.

Thanks to all who have made recommendations. I am looking at all of these and, whilst I do really want a 'brolly format', I can't get away from the fact the ribs and centre spindle are a big hindrance. Like the look of the Aqua Fast & Light the most (as height/clearance seems higher than most brollies) but, as Derek says, 250 quid for a brolly is a bit rich.

It's looking like a shelter - oh God, people will think I'm a carper :eek:

Am i right in thinking that the korum stormshield can be used with just the storm poles without the centre pole?

Yes you can, i have the stormsheild the only fault with it is its a bit low when set up on flat ground you need a low chair, the reason its low is because they have made the two centre back ribs short so that four ribs touch the ground, now on my 60in brolly there is two ribs that are longer than the rest the ones either side of the centre back two, this would have been better as it would make it larger.

Neil I was at the Old Mill yesterday and in no way did I consider I looked like a Carper lol.

check the Nash PegOne out, I bought mine from a local tackle shop at the discounted price of £89.

Jimmy

Nash profile plus brolly shelter, it comes with pegs and 4 stormpoles you can fit a bed chair under it,
It's lightweight and great for quick sessions or I have even spent 3 days and nights under mine at horseshoe with no problems,
Erics angling do them for around 60 quid and it's awsome for the money

Gentlemen......we have a DECISION!!!! I can imagine the tension has been as unbearable for you all as it has for me :D

The Angling Intelligence Airframe wins!!!

Jimmy - no offence, as I will now be a 'shelter boy' too, despite trying to resist! At least it's not a camo design though :eek:

I watched Stuart Court on Youtube put one up in less than 2 minutes and I think even lazy old me won't find that too much hassle - and it'll fit in my holdall.

But it still won't be as good as a traditional old Wavelock on uneven ground and sloping banks!!

And I swore I'd never live a 'sheltered' life.......BOOM BOOM!!!

Thanks again guys,

Neil

Forget the brollys, try a poncho.no need to erect,no pegging out,less room taken up,...just slip on and stay dry all over, far cheaper,and when your moving about fishing various swims,an ideal bit of kit,does me,in any conditons

Tony, I'm the sort of tart that uses hand cream and hates getting my boots muddy. I shudder at the thought of even a drop of rain down the back of my neck.

Hell, I'm even looking for a pocket television to complete my arsenal of 'essential' fishing equipment.

A poncho??? I'll leave that to you and Bear Grylls :D

If I ever need to replace it I am opting for either the Trakker Pioneer Ultrlite or maybe the new Aqua Brolly : see http://www.aquaproducts.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=12_16&products_id=128

I have the Trakker Ultralite & although a little pricey it has stood the test of time, many types of terrain & all, I mean all weather conditions. Other than a tree falling on top of me I would not hesitate to fish in the strongest of gales, though erecting it without blowing away might be somewhat troublesome.

Totally with you Darryl on the Aqua Brolly. I would probably go for this next time as a replacement in due course.

Yes, the cost is comparatively more but flexibility, comfort, durability & always looks the dog's dangly's. Worth every penny.

Cheers, Jon

Last edited:
If you are looking to buy anything from Aqua the following may be of interest.

Apparently the quality of Aqua products has been a topic of discussion on a number of forums lately and this is taken from another forum.

I have a few Aqua products myself including a bivvy and never had a problem but not purchased anything lately.

"We’ve had a few threads about Aqua over recent months, and as I wasn’t fully in possession of the facts myself, I thought it best to do my own due diligence by speaking with them direct to see what the current situation is, in order that we can mod threads accordingly in the future.

As such, I’ve just had an interesting and highly informative chat with Andy Cadwallader at Aqua, and got a good insight as to where they are at currently and where they are moving to as a business. The bottom line is that over recent years, most of the small UK suppliers that Aqua have been sourcing their raw materials from have been going out of business, so it’s become increasingly difficult for them to make solely in the UK. In addition to this, the few who can still supply parts for some of the products have themselves had to hike prices to such an extent, that it’s become impossible to continue full UK manufacture without at least doubling prices on bivvies and brollies. As such, regrettably, UK Aqua production is simply not feasible for now at least, though Aqua retains its full capability to manufacture in the UK in terms of machining and workforce should the markets change for the better in the future.

Andy explained that moving to full overseas manufacture had obviously not been without its challenges. As a business priding itself on quality it had been a steep learning curve for them, and Andy admitted some of the criticism levelled at early products has in part been justified. They had quality issues (mainly with the brollies/brolly systems) on early products so stopped supply immediately whilst these were addressed, with new levels of testing put in place before supply recommenced.

Quality is obviously something Aqua take incredibly seriously, as it’s what much of their brand has been built on, and Andy explained that they have worked tirelessly to improve standards. All new products are tested in UK labs, and Aqua now have their own full time quality control staff working in the factories abroad to ensure these exacting standards are fully met before items are shipped.

What I took from our conversation, which to be honest was refreshingly frank and up front, was that they had suffered with some quality issues but had worked extremely hard since to put them right, and were totally committed to the continued supply of only the highest quality items moving forward.

Hope this answers your question."

With Regards

Wazzy

David

Thanks for the information.
They have come a long way since I bought my first Bivvy from his house in Crewe!

I have an old fox evolution compact, goes up pretty much as easy as a brolly and very quick, the benifits are that you can adjust the height by pegging the two corners closer or further apart, Although this is a bivvy system as such, I dont carry any of the infill panels provided, they just zip off and stay at home.
After 12-13 years service one of the poles broke(Last march) and I got a replacement from fox direct, all parts were still available, you can get these second hand from tackle fanatics for around £80.

Back