• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Brolly type shelters

Neil Powney

Hi all,

I know this has been discussed before but, after reading all that was said, I still haven't found what I'm looking for!

I've just bought a Wychwood Solace 50 inch brolly (flat back with storm sides) and, whilst it is a great brolly with a 5 year guarantee, I still don't like the fact I can't get far enough underneath it due to the ribs/centre spindle. My feet still get wet unless I sit sideways underneath it.

I DON'T want a 60 inch, as that's too big for what I need, so the million dollar question is: What BROLLY system can I buy? I want a QUICK erection (!!!) and mimimal fuss so can't be doing with poles, tensioning bars and all that jazz.

Is a 60 inch the only answer or can someone shed some light on this? After all, apparently it's going to rain for the next month at least, so I need to find the right brolly ;) The Wychwood will be for sale by the way - If you're 5ft or less it would suit you perfectly!

OR, I could just chop the legs off my chair?? :eek:

A bit on the pricey side but i have the Trakker Pioneer Ultrlite, can use it as a brolly or bivvy, loads of room and no internal framework.:D
For the muddy venues i have the diawa mission but the internal framework does get in the way a bit but i can get all the way under even with my snooper high back chair:)

That Trakker is one I looked at. It does look the absolute dogs danglies, but it was the cost that stopped me buying it. OUCH!

I want it now though..... :eek:

I have a Korum one without storm sides (wish I did have storm sides). And it's perfect for the job. You erect it then unscrew the pole and it has another verticle screw point that you can screw it in to so leaving the whole brolly to sit under. Also has pegging points and some durable pegs included. Would definitely advise the storm sides for those warm summer evenings.

I've not seen one in the flesh, but if you're after something quick to erect but compact, the Nash PegOne day shelter could fit the bill. The storm sides look like they can be pegged quite far forward if needed and the headroom also looks good.

I have a Korum one without storm sides (wish I did have storm sides). And it's perfect for the job. You erect it then unscrew the pole and it has another verticle screw point that you can screw it in to so leaving the whole brolly to sit under. Also has pegging points and some durable pegs included. Would definitely advise the storm sides for those warm summer evenings.

Another vote for Korum here. Add a couple of storm pole connectors and it's excellent value for money.

I have the same Korum 50" as Chris but have used a couple of 'Storm Caps' to enable me to completely remove the centre pole and use light alloy long rod rests. It is awesome and allows me to get right underneath and out of the elements. Couldn't recomend it higher and at just under £50 a bargain!

Keith, I am trying to get my head around that, but it sounds perfect! All these flatback brollies sit too low and have sod all headroom.

So....I can unscrew the spike and instead of relocating it at the back I can discard it and use storm pole connectors (which you can buy I assume?) and use 2 storm poles to support it at the front?

Neil
I still use my (11 year old) Aqua 50" (similar set up as your Korum, ie 50" flat back with storm sides) for overnighters on the river without the centre pole and with two (occassionlay three) storm rods. Can get chair or even bedchar right back. However I do also have the removable front for those awkward wind direction sessions.
If I ever need to replace it I am opting for either the Trakker Pioneer Ultrlite or maybe the new Aqua Brolly : see http://www.aquaproducts.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=12_16&products_id=128

£250.00 quid for a brolly :eek::eek::eek: your avin, a larf. You can get a korum ( or similar ) day session shelter for about £70, And will be just as good, if not better. Quick to erect, very stable, and lots of room. :)

get some cheap waders & pull them up.not only they will keep your legs dry under the brolly (whilst they are sticking out), but also during the trudge back to the motor & they will also come in handy on other days when you may want to get into shallows etc.

I use a Korum Stormshield 50", includes sides, and it's great. Very versatile, with or without centre pole, with or without storm poles (usually with). But with all brollies I think it all depends on how tall you are and how low your chair is.

I'm 6' 2" or so, but have a low (much modified) chair. The Korum works for me.

I use the TFG F8 day shelter, does a good job but it's not as quick to put up as shown in the attached video, having said that it's not too tricky once you get the hang of it and make sure the legs etc. are all spread out and out of the way before you pull the lever to erect.

Seems to tick the boxes, I just about keep my legs dry (I'm 6'4"), all the poles are ready inserted in sleeves and are captive so no additional bars to attach (or leave on the bank in the dark) and all the poles/hardware are external so no ribs to bash your head on. I broke a bar recently and a replacement was with me within 2 days for the cost of £8 and fitting it was easy as well.

I think they are decent enough for the money.

http://www.totalfishinggear.co.uk/o...d-brollies/tf-gear-f8-day-shelter/39/no/37033

Cheers,

Steven.

£250.00 quid for a brolly :eek::eek::eek: your avin, a larf. You can get a korum ( or similar ) day session shelter for about £70, And will be just as good, if not better. Quick to erect, very stable, and lots of room. :)
I get your point but my two Aqua shelters have lasted decades!
My Aqua Dome is going strong - bought in 1992
My Aqua Brolly also - bought in 2000
Both still storm strength and weather proof.

I get your point but my two Aqua shelters have lasted decades!
My Aqua Dome is going strong - bought in 1992
My Aqua Brolly also - bought in 2000
Both still storm strength and weather proof.

Yeah, but they are so totally yesterday and out of fashion now!! :D

korum day shelter is quick to set up, pascks away a little larger than a brolly, light and will give you total protection and enable you to sit upright, they are cheap enough too:)

Yeah, but they are so totally yesterday and out of fashion now!! :D
The last thing on my mind when dry and reasonably confortable under the Aqua in a force 7 hooligan with the rods bouncing in the rest is a fashion statement!:D

Cant put a price on being warm and dry, buy the best you can afford. As darryl said,the more you spend the longer things seem to last.

Buy cheap,buy twice:)

Back