• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Bristol Avon

Eddie Bray

Senior Member & Supporter
Thinking of changing my membership from the BAA to enable me to fish the Bristol Avon which is a whole lot closer to my abode.

I have been looking at the Bathampton ticket as that includes a stretch of the Kennet and Avon Canal which can be fished through the close season as well as a few lakes too.

Any suggestions as to what might be a better move?

TIA, Eddie

Hi Eddie, you have a choice between Bathampton, the Amalgamation, Warminster or perhaps Keynsham. Generally the barbel fishing is tough along the whole length of the river. I don't think many fish the Bathampton stretch any more and that is true for Avon Cliff as well. There is a Facebook based syndicate at Limpley Stoke that might be of interest as well. I still buy the Amalgamation ticket but mostly fish the Warminster waters. However the river is in the fields at the moment!

The past popular stretches on the BA are not producing anymore. Bathampton Almagamated and Keynsham were mentioned, all good clubs and offer plenty of options. I might add Somerford Chippenham and Isis too. As a taster check out a you tube clip on the Christian Malford stretch which is Almagamated and then on to Isis, if you don't mind stretching your legs the rewards are there.

Thanks all, will take it all into account, I'm not only looking for Barbel fishing, just feeling I need to get out more often.

Some of the best roach fishing to be had in the country from the BA. Ask Doc Everard. It's ain't just about barbel.
True, I used to see him on the Avon in Malmesbury, on a private works stretch that was closed to to the general public, it was very prolific with chub roach trout and the very occasional Barbel (cough). My best roach came from the Almagamated stretch at just under 3 lbs.

Back