• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Bridgnorth/Ludlow tackle.

Steve Williams

For those of you local to either shop, it might be worth a trip to check out their 25% off, closing down sale.

Sadly since Tom passed away, both shops have been sold, and are not going to remain as tackle shops, so everything must go.

Some bargains to be had, if your quick.

Steve

hi steve, use to get my feeder mags from their ,after mals closed up

Steve, that is a great shame. Whenever we travel down to the Severn, our first port of call was the shop in bridgnorth, sorry i don,t know their names, but the gentleman and lady in the shop were always extremely helpful regards, areas, baits, etc that were working well. And also good for any last minute bits of tackle/bait that was needed. Still have, and use, a great barbel landing net that i bought there. Regards, Derek.

Danny, yes it's the one on the corner of mill street.
The sale only started a few days ago.

Derek, carol and rosa are the two lady's who worked in there, and Tom was the owner.
Real shame, as it was a proper tackle shop.

Steve

That's sad Tom's passed away, lovely bloke. Didn't his son run the Ludlow one? Would have thought he'd take over the running of both, must make good business?

A real shame, if a tackle shop in Bridgnorth isn't viable then there's not much hope elsewhere. Is there another tackle shop in Bridgnorth?

Stephen

I don't think it's anything to do with not been profitable.
Bridgnorth gets lots and lots of holiday anglers.

I'm told it's more a case of the fact that the son who runs the Ludlow shop doesn't really want to run tackle shops, and after receiving offers for both premises he's decided to sell.

Can't blaim him really, as it must be hard work to make them pay....

I'll be in Ludlow next week so I'll pop in and see Neil and find out what the story is. Wish I had known he was selling, might have been worth a punt !

A real shame this. I was in Ludlow tackle today (5 min walk from my front door) and the sale is in full swing. 25% off and 50% off nearly all clothing. Neil shuts on 8th June and the shop will be turned into a wine merchant's warehouse soon after that.

I know it's a cliche but this really is the end of an era for Bridgnorth and Ludlow anglers as the shops have always been the centre of info, gossip, rumours and banter for local and visiting anglers. Neil is a great guy and is always encouraging to the dwindling numbers of river anglers who come through his door in Ludlow but would be realistic too when dealing with their expectations of a day's barbel fishing on the Teme, pointing out that up this end of the river a couple of fish a day is a good result and anything 8lb+ is an above average example.

As well as missing the customer service this could present a real problem for those of us based around Ludlow as now that Leominster tackle has just shut too :)() the nearest places selling maggots are Hereford, Shrewsbury or Bewdley- all an hour or so drive away.

However, there are already strong rumours of another shop being ready to open somewhere in Ludlow. Watch this space...

Last edited:
well that mean nearest tackle shop to bridge north,maybe, hampton lobe or bewdley, cause i know theres none in arley, or highley , ???????

theres another tackle shop in bridgnorth eddie, but it only sells quality bait not decent/ a wide range of tackle.

To be fair, the other tackle shop (just over the bridge at the bottom of the Cartway) is a good shop, but is a bit smaller than Bridgnorth Tackle so carries a smaller range of gear.
The chaps who run it are helpful though, the maggots are usually good quality & they have longer opening hours than Bridgnorth Tackle, so all is not lost.
Still sad to see any tackle shop shut down though. Apparently its going to become a funeral parlour :(

Back