• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Bridge over the River Wye

Full time job collecting all the 80p's. Costs nearly the entire takings to maintain and the complete lack of Salmon in the Wye these days making the fishing rights of little value; being I assume the reason for sale. Good of the BBC to advertise it, I assume for a mate, hoping some naive person who doesn't know the Wye may bite.

Not bad . . . . at those toll prices you would see a return after a couple of hundred years! Wonder if the fishing rights includes bank space or a very large drop net!

Not bad . . . . at those toll prices you would see a return after a couple of hundred years! Wonder if the fishing rights includes bank space or a very large drop net!
No netting any more on the Wye (at least legally!) and no putchers this year:). Bank fishing. If I remember correctly a very small beat that in the past produced many a Salmon along both banks for a few yards each side of the Bridge, you used to be able to buy tickets after September for coarse fishing, some rich geezer from the big house had the Salmon rights.
These days you would get some good barbel along here, but day tickets around for much better beats at pretty cheap prices, so not exactly a money spinner. The little house looks nice enough, but isn't massive. You would be taking on a commitment to maintain the bridge. Which is why I think the sellers are trying to get some publicity.
Not that it's ever going to happen, but if I had £450,000 to spare and wanted a place on the Wye with a bit of fishing, this wouldn't be my first choice.

The previous owner died recently. The guy who lives in the house is a tenant, and an employee of the owner, he also collects the toll.
If I remember rightly the bridge was practically rebuilt about ten years ago after flood damage at a cost of around £2m

It also comes with a slipway, you could start a canoe tours business, the Wye could do with one of those.

This is a copy of a letter to the DoT requesting that the tolls be raised.

Brian Howard
Proprietor,
Whitney-on-Wye Toll Bridge
The Glebe House
Grange Lane
Cople
BEDFORD
MK44 3TT

Jeremy Rolstone
Road Demand Management Strategy
Department for Transport
Zone 3/05
Great Minster House
76 Marsham Street
London
SW1P 4DR

Web Site: www.dft.gov.uk

23 October 2009

Dear Mr Howard

WHITNEY ON WYE TOLL BRIDGE – TOLL REVIEW APPLICATION

1. I am directed by the Secretary of State for Transport to refer to the application by the Whitney-on-Wye Toll Bridge under the Transport Charges &c. (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1954 to revise tolls for the use of the Whitney on Wye Toll Bridge.

2. The existing classifications and the proposed tolls charged are as follows;

Class of Traffic Current Toll Levy Proposed Toll Levy
Category 1
Cycle which is not a motor vehicle

5p

10p

Category 2
Motor Cycle, with or without a sidecar.
10p
20p
Category 3
Goods vehicle with a maximum gross weight not exceeding 7.5 tonnes

50p

80p
Category 4
Goods vehicle not within Category 3 above
£1.00
£1.40
Category 5
A car or other passenger vehicle not constructed or adapted to carry more than 16 passengers

50p

80p
Category 6
Passenger vehicle constructed or adapted to carry more than 16 passengers, when not carrying any passengers

£1.00

£1.40

Category 7
Passenger vehicle constructed or adapted to carry more than 16 passengers, when carrying one or more passengers

£1.50

£1.80

3. The Secretary of State in reaching his decision has considered his obligations under section 6(3) of the 1954 Act (as amended) that he must;

“…have regard to the financial position and future prospects of the undertaking and shall not make any revision of charges which in his opinion would be likely to result in the undertaking receiving an annual revenue either substantially less or substantially more than adequate to meet such expenditure on the working, management and maintenance of the undertaking and such other costs, charges and expenses of the undertaking as are properly chargeable to revenue, including reasonable contributions to any reserve, contingency or other fund and, where appropriate, a reasonable return upon the paid up share capital of the undertaking…”

4. The Proprietor of Whitney on Wye Toll Bridge has advised that he wishes to raise toll charges on the bridge to meet the increase costs of maintaining and operating the bridge. The Secretary of State when considering the application has noted from the evidence submitted, that there is no alternative means of being able to do this.

5. The Secretary of State when considering the application has noted that the operating and running costs for the Whitney-on- Wye Toll Bridge have increased substantially since the last increase in 1990, nearly 20 years ago. These have included repair, maintenance costs, and insurance rates.

6. The Proprietor of Whitney on Wye Toll Bridge has advised that if the increase in toll charges is approved, their finances will be on a more self-sufficient basis; that they will be in a position to be able to meet their annual maintenance costs; and will be able to accumulate reserve funds to allow for the longer term repair and possible renewal of the bridge in future.

7. The Secretary of State has also noted that when considering the application, that the continued operation of the bridge will enable it to provide a valuable service and facility to the local community.

8. The Secretary of State has noted that there have been no objections to the application received within the statutory 42 day appeal period.

9. On the basis of the evidence before him and having regard to his obligations under section 6 of the Transport Charges &c. (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1954, the Secretary of State is satisfied that the proposed toll revisions are justified. The Secretary of State has, therefore decided to make the Order.

10. A copy of the signed Order is attached for information.

Yours sincerely,

Jeremy Rolstone
Head Road Demand Management Strategy

Last edited:
Back