• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Bream

Yes. In butter. Almonds if you must - no need, delightful as is. :)

Back to subject - Bream.

DO NOT FRY THEM!

Horrible . . . apparently.

Easily tempted, indeed a nuisance at times, on halibut pellets designed for more sporting quarry.

Virtually anything is sporting if 1) you approach it in the right way - tackle, mindset, expectations, with a degree of humility and complete lack of chestbeating ambition, and 2) catch it before the rest do, and not look for fame, sponsorship etc until it enters the thickest of super-Neanderthal-thick skull "Dur! Why I am doing this...?". Just go fishing, don't eff it over.

Last edited:
Virtually anything is sporting if 1) you approach it in the right way - tackle, mindset, expectations, with a degree of humility and complete lack of chestbeating ambition, and 2) catch it before the rest do, and not look for fame, sponsorship etc until it enters the thickest of super-Neanderthal-thick skull "Dur! Why I am doing this...?". Just go fishing, don't eff it over.

Good man, Paul!

As ever

Hugo

Virtually anything is sporting if 1) you approach it in the right way - tackle . . .

Indeed, but would the Chairman be comfortable with fishing a Barbel magnet as bait for Bream, using sporting tackle for the later, while quite likely to be beaten in the fight by the former?

In stillwaters Bream fight like a wet sack, in rivers they fight like a wet sack caught in a decent flow. I'll accept that's a decent fight if it happens to be a pretty big sack.

picture.php

Guess the weight anyone? . . .

The Chairman on Tuesday

Well, nor do blasted trout, for that matter. Yet if you get them on a dozen at a time on one's treble-built, steel-centred, Beecham-Barder Spottie Slayer and wooden Starback (plus the fly patterns below - young Paul ties them for me, you know), then get them into a frying pan or onto the Barbie (best left to a Lady Guide) before the Wild Trite Bust boys start getting all outraged and uppity...

As ever,

B.B.

Last edited:
Back