• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

BREAM. Advice needed.

Ian Wetton

A bit of advice if you please.

I am currently fishing a 200 acre Mere from a punt.
It holds some big bream / hybrids, but they are not easy to find.
I am having to row around looking for dirty water, fins, bubbles which can prove difficult if there is anything more than a ripple.
When I find the dirty water it is still difficult to know where the fish are actually feeding.
Fresh plumes of silt signal I'm on the fish ( it's only about 3-4 foot deep ) and I am catching anything between a couple and 15 fish on maggots, whilst loose feeding maggots, before they move on.

My question : how I can I keep their heads down without spooking them ?

Ian have you tried binoculars to spot any tell tell sign of fish ? and why dont you keep your pinkies and castors in a cool box and dont mix your ground bait , pinkies and castors up until you find your fish ?

A bit of advice if you please.

I am currently fishing a 200 acre Mere from a punt.
It holds some big bream / hybrids, but they are not easy to find.
I am having to row around looking for dirty water, fins, bubbles which can prove difficult if there is anything more than a ripple.
When I find the dirty water it is still difficult to know where the fish are actually feeding.
Fresh plumes of silt signal I'm on the fish ( it's only about 3-4 foot deep ) and I am catching anything between a couple and 15 fish on maggots, whilst loose feeding maggots, before they move on.

My question : how I can I keep their heads down without spooking them ?

This time of year you may see them basking on the surface watch them and watch where they go down be there at first light and see where they re appear, its hard and you dont need any wind but late evening it can be done and bingo you will find them its all about putting time in

Sean

This time of year you may see them basking on the surface watch them and watch where they go down be there at first light and see where they re appear, its hard and you dont need any wind but late evening it can be done and bingo you will find them its all about putting time in

Sean
Bream love To roll in the Morning...:D

Thanks for the feedback / advice, it's really appreciated.

At the moment most of the Mere is covered in a dense weed. There are a few large "pools" where there are fish.
When I was there last week I didn't see any fish rolling but all hell broke loose when I got within 30 yards of a shoal of fish.
Later in the day in the same area we approached fish feeding moving at the edge of the weed without spooking them and managed to put a few on the boat.

I will stay at it and think it maybe an idea to "stalk" and approach the fish quietly, and get plenty of feed in without making too much of a commotion ( not balling it in ) ?

On a separate note I am fishing just on bottom, the bites are slow and shy but I am deep hooking the odd fish.

Any thoughts on how I can avoid this ?

Blackeyed beans. Feed with plain ones. On the hook use ones you have flavored with vanilla or scopex. Best Bream bait I have ever used. Cheap as chips and can be kept in the freezer. I always put a bit more flavor in when returning them to the freezer, the sweeter the better.
Shaun

Back