• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Breaking your own rules .

Joe Fletcher

No Longer a Member
Being a member of the BAA , I was amazed to read in the December news letter on the BAA website . http://www.baa.uk.com/uploads/baa_news_december_2012e7e24aaa.pdf
How the fisheries team had organised a trip on the Wye at Holme Lacy .
The News editor admits having been broken ealier in the day and suspects it was a Barbel . He later admits that later in the day he left is rod to get a change of bait , Only to see his rod disappear down the Wye and then goes on to say , That its a good excuse to buy a new rod and reel .
I wonder any one reading this story on there website , What sort of example it gives ?
The irony of the tale is , That it clearly states on the BAA website .
Bye-laws and regulations . No member shall use on Associations water .
No more than two rods at any time and that ANY ROD MUST BE UNDER THE IMMEDIATE PHYSICAL CONTROL OF THE ANGLER . Which would apply to any water you fish .
Had he been fishing on a BAA waters , I wonder would he of been disciplined for breaching there own rules ? .

Even when I can physically touch my rod when Barbelling my baitrunners are set as light as the current allows even a fish takes baitrunner immediately give line , seen rods go and its a gutter for whoever it happens to and most admit its their own fault , was once on a lake and guy at side of me had his ripped in and saw the most luck thing ever guy at other side of him had just reeled and launched his lead over where he thought line was going and actually hooked one of the eyes on the rod but the best bit was when he reeled the fish in it was a 2lb rainbow trout the club had stocked to allow them to fish in the close season ,made even more incredible by the fact that the club members who stocked the fish in march immediately fished for them and most were caught within 3 or 4 weeks but this happened in august

Yep read that and was appalled by his couldn't care a less attitude, to leave a rod unattended especially on the Wye is criminal!!
No mention if he felt for the welfare of the snagged barbel either, but they had a good old **** up after:mad:

Being a member of the BAA , I was amazed to read in the December news letter on the BAA website . http://www.baa.uk.com/uploads/baa_news_december_2012e7e24aaa.pdf
How the fisheries team had organised a trip on the Wye at Holme Lacy .
The News editor admits having been broken ealier in the day and suspects it was a Barbel . He later admits that later in the day he left is rod to get a change of bait , Only to see his rod disappear down the Wye and then goes on to say , That its a good excuse to buy a new rod and reel .
I wonder any one reading this story on there website , What sort of example it gives ?
The irony of the tale is , That it clearly states on the BAA website .
Bye-laws and regulations . No member shall use on Associations water .
No more than two rods at any time and that ANY ROD MUST BE UNDER THE IMMEDIATE PHYSICAL CONTROL OF THE ANGLER . Which would apply to any water you fish .
Had he been fishing on a BAA waters , I wonder would he of been disciplined for breaching there own rules ? .

Look in your BAA members book , determine how breaches of rules should be reported , and report him/her .simples ... On the face of it the angler in question is going to struggle to deny the allegation . Edit , read this more carefully and note that the angler in question was not fishing a BAA water , however the same priciple applies . Look in to the rules of the club / association who own or lease the water in question ,if this anglers alleged behaviour breaches the rules then report them to the club . Again the alleged miscrean't is going to struggle to deny the transgression as they have decribed their actions in public

Last edited:
I read the article too and my first reaction was similar to those just stated. however I reflected a bit more and although my initial view remained, I felt somewhat saddened that the editorial angle has detracted from the excellent work the BAA fisheries team has done in 2012. As a member of the BAA I do not condone the actions of the author and I hope he reflects on the article and doesnt do it again. However, I would like to say thanks to the fisheries team as a whole.

Look in your BAA members book , determine how breaches of rules should be reported , and report him/her .simples ... On the face of it the angler in question is going to struggle to deny the allegation

The 'offence' wasnt on BAA water. Although I doubt this was the case, mitigation might be "I left the rod under the control and attention of someone else"

Back