• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

braided hook links

Drennan sinkbraid in 10lb. Does exactly what it says on the tin. I have tested other braids in a fish tank and some of them float between hook and lead.

I use Drennan sinkbraid in 15lb for my combi links, but it's by default really.

It has a tendency to fray after a few fish and weaken so much that it will snap like cotton. I have never had this problem with Kryston, but i like the gravel colour of DS. It probably doesn't make a lot of difference and is just a confidence thing, but if anyone can recommend a better gravel coloured braid - i'm interested!

I use Drennan sinkbraid in 15lb for my combi links, but it's by default really.

It has a tendency to fray after a few fish and weaken so much that it will snap like cotton. I have never had this problem with Kryston, but i like the gravel colour of DS. It probably doesn't make a lot of difference and is just a confidence thing, but if anyone can recommend a better gravel coloured braid - i'm interested!

i use korda super natural gravel as part of a combi rig, with nash armourbraid to help with the abrasion.

Korda supernatural gravel for me also with a fluoro combi link....

the reason i like this geo logic stuff is, even though its not a quality brand is it is very soft and a soft sand/brown colour and has good abrasion resistance, ive tried a few different brands, korda in the weed green 18lb bs, a couple of differant drennans upto 20lb bs, silkworm in 20lb bs and i just cant find a braid thats as supple as this one and im yet to find a situation where its not worked for me.
cheers
jerry

I use Suffix coated braid, with the last 2cm stripped. The coating increases resistance to abrasion - vital on the river I fish (as you know, Jez), though you obviously don't need it :)

It does the job for me when the water's got a bit of colour.....

kryston super nova for me, tried the drennan sinkbraid once, lost a couple of fish on it due to it snapping and went straight back to the kryston stuff. The only thing i don't like about the the super nova is the price.

any body tried powerpro, i use it for lure fishing for bass (as mainline) and its great stuff, was wondering if anybody has tried it for barbel hooklink (in moss green NOT hi-vis yellow!)

George,

Powerpro is very buoyant and not the best for hook lengths really.

In all honesty, most braids float to some degree when tank tested, and I've tank tested lots over the years, even when they profess to be sinking braids!

Some are better than others.

99.9% of the time, I still pin it down with heavy putty etc.

Daz.

I use ESP sink link in 12lb no problems for me.I know ESP is Drennan but when you talk about Drennan sink braid is it the same stuff.

Personally I wouldnt touch drennan sinkbraid with anyones. Thats through personal experience as it doesnt like the acute angle of a knotless knot, lost me two good local fish this season.
Korda Supernatural seems good

I use Drennan sinkbraid and have never had any issues with it snapping or using the knotless knot, i've pulled for a break when snagged up and the hooks opened up or the line has snapped which has been a higher breaking strain..

Kryston is also very good but as already mentioned it's a bit more expensive..

Any tips on a nice supple fluorocarbon for hooklengths..??

I use Drennan sinkbraid and have never had any issues with it snapping or using the knotless knot, i've pulled for a break when snagged up and the hooks opened up or the line has snapped which has been a higher breaking strain..

ESP Soft Ghost, cant fault it.

Tom.

Kryston is also very good but as already mentioned it's a bit more expensive..

Riverge Grand Max.....(or the even stronger Soft Plus version, though I haven't yet used it)

Back