• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Braid

John Hasler

What’s the best braid mainline at the moment, there’s lots of recommendations but they mostly seem to be discontinued or only available in yellow. I’m looking to load up my RW Rolling Pin.

The first thing I'd say would be, whatever braid you use, check its actual breaking strain first. Stated diameters are often seemingly way off, and more worryingly, breaking strains can be actually lower than stated (or higher, maybe). So you need to check its strength. Secondly I'd say you need to use a leader, so there's some 'give' in your system (so don't use a pre-stretched "strong" line. I use a 1.5-2m fluorocarbon leader).
I started by using regular Power Pro in stated 20lb (I found BS to be ~22lb) which is quite 'open weave'. Then I changed to 8 strand 'Power Pro Super 8 slick' in stated 15kg/33lb bs (I found BS to be ~16lb) which is much finer and feels much nicer through the fingers when rolling meat. But now I mostly use a 4 strand "Spectra" braid in stated 30lb bs/0.26mm (I found bs to be ~24lb) which is half way between the Power Pros in smoothness, but much cheaper. They all float, but the open weave ones may need greasing towards the business end after a few casts when rolling meat.
If/when I buy braid again it will be "Spectra", basically as I've found it just as good as the Power Pros, but less than half the price (£7 / 300m). But the main problem with "Spectra" is ....the name Spectra appears to be a generic i.e.. loads of (Chinese) companies produce (or buy in bulk and put their own label on) a braid that they call "Spectra".
For long trotting I use Jig Silk in fluoro yellow, and I like it.
But whatever you buy I say, check its strength.

Last edited:
Completely agree with Terry.

Braid is a minefield, you must check what you buy. A mate bought some expensive 30lb ’spod’ braid recently and it broke at 7lb.

Ive used all sorts over the years and now trust the cheap Chinese stuff for most jobs.

Having said that, Im currently doing a bit of lure fishing so last week I bought a spool of fancy 8 strand stuff (Black Friday sale) to play with. But I will test it before I try and catch a fish with it !

PS what’s wrong with yellow ?

I use 0.10 Spectra on my spod rod with an Arma cord shock leader. I've found it to be perfect for that application. So much so, I use Spectra on my feeder rods as well. Good stuff.

On the other side of the coin, I've had 15lbs Fox braid break on me twice whilst playing fish. I tested it at home later, and it broke at 7lbs. Not good.

Saratoga sea strike 8 strand ,been using it for years ,especially Pike fishing .
Its cheap but great value .Never let me down👍

I find Diawa j braid 8 strand very good, and reasonably priced. Use it for overseas stuff and never had a problem with it. Very strong for the diameter.

I have to say that the wildly inaccurate breaking strain of Braid has put me off ever using the stuff ,this flaw in my view far outweighs its supposed benefits

Is your view flawed, Mike, or just missing a comma? Ha, just kidding. :D
I've used power pro super slik for a number of years, now, and it's a lot more durable nowadays.

I've used super slick too, and it's certainly good line, but find it's like rope for the breaking strain compared to j braid.
I'm sure it's understated on diameter, and breaking strain as well.

I don't really get how you can have a stated diameter on braid at all. It just flattens like a pancake when pressed by a micrometer. I have used standard Power pro, but not since super 8 slik came out, which is a far better product. The standard is good but starts to break down, ie it becomes furry. Braid users will know what I mean and this does tend to weaken it. I think this happens when microscopic particles get into the braid strands from the cloudy river water. Or maybe its just wear and tear etc. Super 8 is great, it seems to have a "Slik " coating on it that really keeps the furring down to a minimum and helps maintain the knot strength on the all important leader knot. Super 8 slik is thicker than standard Pp, when compared side by side. The one I have been using though for the last 3 or 4 years is Daiwa J Braid 8, it has a good compromise between Pp and super 8 and comes in more appropriate colours etc, which doesn't really matter tbh, when using a leader.
Trent style I would use super 8 in 30lb for the Trent for heavier fishing but in Daiwa J braid 8, I'd lean towards the 40lb, as it seems thinner and more robust in this BS.

Back