• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Braid hook length.

Alex Podgorski

I’m using 15lb mono main line, looking at trying braid hook lengths. What’s the recommended BS for this method? Have always used mono hook lengths. Any advice would be welcome. TIA

Same here. I use coated braid religiously for hook lengths with just a couple of inches by the hook stripped back
Korda N trap in 15lb is my favorite by a country mile. I’ll never drop that stuff as It’s never let go once

E-S-P Anchor Braid and ESP Camo sink link on a combi rig
Both gets my vote never let me down yet
I had a very bad experience with Korda N trap when it was first released I took the spools to the carp show at Sandown the following week and showed them how I could just snap it like cotton they replaced it and gave me a bag of goodies but never had the confidence to use it so gave it away

Last edited:
E-S-P Anchor Braid and ESP Camo sink link on a combi rig
Both gets my vote never let me down yet
I had a very bad experience with Korda N trap when it was first released I took the spools to the carp show at Sandown the following week and showed them how I could just snap it like cotton they replaced it and gave me a bag of goodies but never had the confidence to use it so gave it away

Ive use the lowest rated strength stuff at 15lb for the last 3 years and I doubt I could pull it to snap holding it with my vice and pulling it with pliers.

I've used coated braid made by both Sufix and Kryston over the years and found both are excellent. I only alternate due to availability or price. Giving Gardner Sink Skin a whirl at the moment as I wanted something that sinks - not caught yet (only one session) but it's nice and easy to strip (unlike some). All in 15lb.

Ive use the lowest rated strength stuff at 15lb for the last 3 years and I doubt I could pull it to snap holding it with my vice and pulling it with pliers.
I dont doubt that for a second mate ?
clearly when it was 1st released there was a huge problem as I was snapping 20lb easily with a quick snatch with my bare hands they fixed whatever was wrong and heard lots of people returning it to be fair to Korda they exchanged it without any quibble
BUT !!!! after losing fish on one of the hardest big fish waters in France I just could not bring myself to use it ever again and gave the replacement spools away

ESP Tungsten loaded,excellent braid,or if you want something a little stiffer(and cheaper) Bank Tackle Semi Stiff.Both straighten out nicely,plus,if you leave your rods set up (folded) this helps as well 👍👍

Looks like I'm in a minority as I use Korda Supernatural for most of my hooklengths.

Always imagine that braid is the ultimate hooklink due to the flexibility of braid but always worry about hows it would be laying after a chub has had an aborted take with it ,

I've been using this after someone (Hatter?) recommended it:

It's my preferred option these days...

Looks like I'm in a minority as I use Korda Supernatural for most of my hooklengths.
If it works Simon, it works !
It got me thinking so whilst in my shed sorting out wet gear from a gruelling blank I had a rummage to see what I had acquired over time in pursuit of the perfect hooklink
It’s all b********s really
Talk about designed to catch anglers not fish !
When really the truth is for me through trial & error
Mono- long hooklengths
Fluoro- short and snaggy
Braid - when neither of the above work
B9ACE94B-1E4C-488D-A374-6F255B73C107.jpeg

It got me thinking so whilst in my shed sorting out wet gear from a gruelling blank I had a rummage to see what I had acquired over time in pursuit of the perfect hooklink
Mono- long hooklengths
Fluoro- short and snaggy
Braid - when neither of the above workView attachment 16512
When I used to fish the swale many years ago I never used anything like these hook links and I didn’t even know what a hair rig was.
10lb maxima straight through to a buried bait. Running leads and feeders.
Used to get plenty of them back then. We move with the times but do we actually gain much really?

Mono- long hooklengths
Fluoro- short and snaggy
Braid - when neither of the above workView attachment 16512
I've just carefully scrutinised the above pic in the hope of finding some Drennan Sink braid that was surplus to your requirements Paul! 🤣

I'm guessing you've used it all!? Have tried many of the uncoated braids in your pic and not found anything to touch it!

If I had some Joe you are welcome - plenty of Silkworm & Merlin
TBH I bought it for peanuts off one of these companies that were in liquidation, but didn't realise how many I'd got
I must have been on the red wine

Back