• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Braid for spod reel ?

Paul Clotworthy

Which braid for spod reel looking around most are 20lb but when check there breaking strain on tackle box there well under there breaking strength thinking of using the braid with out leeder so want it to be strong cast full spopper out

Which braid for spod reel looking around most are 20lb but when check there breaking strain on tackle box there well under there breaking strength thinking of using the braid with out leeder so want it to be strong cast full spopper out
Hi Paul,
I think there are two considerations here, your budget and how far you want to cast. Let me explain. I bought a cheap (£8) bulk spool of 40lb (.33mm) braid off eBay for my spomb/spopper rod which serves me perfect for casting upto 40yds or so without a leader but I’ve noticed because of the rough/coarse finish to the braid the line lay on the spool is not good and it is “pitting in” so I’ve bought a spool of Daiwa J Braid x8 in 56lb BS (.28mm) which I intend to put on my spomb/spopper reel to replace it. 150 yards of J Braid or Power Pro is going to set you back 20quid plus !
I’ve no experience of these other braids which are sold as “spod braids” but I’m sure you’ll get some other input from the sages on here.
Regards
Bill

Make sure you use a wire trace from the spopper to the line, pike have been known to take a spopper on its way back on the surface.

I use 60lb braid, 8 strand from Rodeel costs between £9 and £12 for 300mtrs. When I was using it to pull my Deeper GPS free from a tree, the swivel broke before the line (had to get the head baliff to get it back for me).

When using braid, make sure you cover the braid with water, helps stop wind knots.

Why braid, some strong 18/20lb mono would do the job for lobbing out Spoppers etc
I'm very much the same thought tbh, I have a spod rod with braid on and I don't throw it more than 50yds if Tenching or far bank on the Trent etc. Had loads of knots and frapping with the braid also. Top tip if you go the braid, don't over fill the spool. Less knots etc.

Soak the braid before putting it on your spool for the first time

If you’re not using a mono or flouro leader I’d use a casting finger to avoid the braid cutting your finger if you’re casting heavy spods distances.

Back