• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Braid for a Pin

Gavin Burt

Taking delivery of a Speedia Wide Drum later this week and looking at some 30lb braid for it to roll some meat.

Can anytime advise if this is suitable please specifically @Terry Simner ?

Maybe not a useful answer as such, I have used PowerPro for 20 years, and wouldn't bother to find an alternative.

Taking delivery of a Speedia Wide Drum later this week and looking at some 30lb braid for it to roll some meat.

This is good braid, but I would not use it for rolling meat, simply because it is 4 strands, so it is not as smooth as 8 strands, which IMO, very important when casting lightweight.

This is good braid, but I would not use it for rolling meat, simply because it is 4 strands, so it is not as smooth as 8 strands, which IMO, very important when casting lightweight.
Thanks for confirming.

Would this be a better alternative please ?

Sure it'll be 100% fine @Gavin Burt , just use a 1m flouro leader with it. Very Best of luck in your rolling 👍
N.b... but actually physically check its breaking strain before using.

Sure it'll be 100% fine @Gavin Burt , just use a 1m flouro leader with it. Very Best of luck in your rolling 👍
N.b... but actually physically check its breaking strain before using.
Thanks for the confirmation.

Dumb question alert - why would you use a 1m please ? I thought the whole point of using braid is that you are in direct contact with the weight (plasticine) & bait and the braid allows you to “feel” what’s going on at the business end ?

The fluoro will be less than 10% of the line between you and the hook, fluoro doesn't stretch that much anyway, but will act as a bit of a 'cushion' on the strike (if you actually need to strike). It will be much less noticeable/apparent to fish in water, plus if you snag you'll just lose a bit of your leader (plus try breaking 30lb braid on a straight pull!)

Back