• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Boyhood dreams and tribute to JW

Jon Kennard

Well I never ended up fishing for grayling today as was originally planned. Instead I went armed to my boyhood lakes armed only with my heritage centrepin float road and traditional baits of Maggie's casters corn hemp and liquidised bread. Having not fished it for over 23 years it had changed some what. Anyway no agenda just silvers as a target i set about dripping maggots hemp and casters. I caught plenty of silver's then switched to corn and cast further at the back of the swim. A few skimmers came my way before a double figure carp muscled in. Only on light line i was delighted to land her something i dreamt about as a boy probably 12 lb.
I carried on feeding quite heavily and the bream turned up to over 3lb and were relentless for the last hour or so. So simple with just my heritage pin when the carp boys around me were blanking or catching small carp on 3lb test curve rods!!!
A special day and fitting tribute to my John Wilson my boyhood hero

Attachments

• 20181230_130854.jpg
    20181230_130854.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 217
Been there, done that Jon and now living with the regrets! I started Carp fishing in the late 60’s and for twenty years lived, breathed and dreamt Carp with the very occasional winter sortie for Pike. I then burnt the candle too close to both ends and “packed up” fishing entirely for the next twenty years. During that period I found it difficult to even talk about fishing. My mojo was well and truly gone....My eldest son got the fire burning again when he took me on a trip to Bridgnorth and I caught my first Barbel which these days is my #1 love BUT not with exclusion! I now enjoy Tench fishing on the float, trotting for Grayling and anything that pulls the float down and have a deep desire to catch a decent Perch. I can’t turn the clock back but do wish I’d been a bit more of a general angler rather than a “Carp angler”. Each to their own at the end of the day I suppose but I would change things in hindsight......

Ah Bill glad your back out there. I'm not trying to be over critical but the nature of carp rods and alarms etc is an over kill at such venues and not necessary on such waters particularly at this time of the year. They would do much better casting a feeder rod around I'm sure.

Perhaps I was lucky that I never got caught up with the Carp thing, apart from
Ah Bill glad your back out there. I'm not trying to be over critical but the nature of carp rods and alarms etc is an over kill at such venues and not necessary on such waters particularly at this time of the year. They would do much better casting a feeder rod around I'm sure.
This is the painful truth Jon, but they have spent many £100's on their kit and I am sure prefer the long haul....of course stalking carp in the margins, on the top, and using maggots under a float is always more productive, but alas most don't appreciate that. It's not having a go at them really, except that when they actually see how enjoyable other methods can be they are hooked, as many on here will admit.
Mind you there are some very very good anglers who happen to fish for Carp, I enjoy watching their videos and there is always something to learn.
Personally I need to take heed of my own advice, I just spend too much time staring at a tip....
New Years Resolution 1. Use the float rod more.
Happy New Year.

Carp fishing has become all mod cons camping with a possibility of winding in a stocked lump.
Not fishing at all really.

Been there, done that Jon and now living with the regrets! I started Carp fishing in the late 60’s and for twenty years lived, breathed and dreamt Carp with the very occasional winter sortie for Pike. I then burnt the candle too close to both ends and “packed up” fishing entirely for the next twenty years. During that period I found it difficult to even talk about fishing. My mojo was well and truly gone....My eldest son got the fire burning again when he took me on a trip to Bridgnorth and I caught my first Barbel which these days is my #1 love BUT not with exclusion! I now enjoy Tench fishing on the float, trotting for Grayling and anything that pulls the float down and have a deep desire to catch a decent Perch. I can’t turn the clock back but do wish I’d been a bit more of a general angler rather than a “Carp angler”. Each to their own at the end of the day I suppose but I would change things in hindsight......

..yesterday is but a memory and tomorrow is only a vision. But today, well lived, makes every yesterday a memory of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope.

No regrets (Walker Brothers)
Move on up (Curtis Mayfield)
Happy Talkin' (Bloody Mary, or Captain Sensible et al)
:D:D:D

carping aint so easy on low stock pits were the challenge is nature itself. many a blank to be had its not just the catching of fish that matters some of these wild places(lake and river) are truly stunning places a pleasure to just spend time there.

Back