• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

boots

Jim Ufton

Senior Member & Supporter
hi all,
with winter and wet weather probably on the way,just thought i'd ask for some info on a good pair of waterproof hiking style boot,tried 3 sets allready this year,but none 100% waterproof even when they say they are,like i say any info,good or bad would be appreciated,
regards jim

Meindl Burma Pro!

Have had a pair of hiking style boots made by Berghaus for a number of years and they are excellent. They get well used for both fishing and dog walking with no complaints. Mine are 3 season rated so useful in all but extreme cold, but they have a good range to choose from to suit your intended usage.

Darren

On flea bay put in goretex army boot then look for ECW boot ( extreme cold weather) cracking boots brand new) £65 don't go for the older pro boot or failing that if you prefer a tarty name brasher hill master £135 both waterproof both warm vibram sole just depends how flush you are

Mark

Ive worn the Brasher Supalite II's for a couple of years now coupled with Gortex gaiters. Really comfortable and waterproof.

Hi men,

Me and sue have gaiters , on a couple of fisheries they were very usefull , and I'm surprised more people don't use them . Sue got them at a country show for £4 a pair !. We used them on days when it was wet but as it dried out we took them off and packed them away .

Hatter

Another thumbs up for brasher hill walkers.
On my second pair now and really comfortable and waterproof if cleaned and polished

On flea bay put in goretex army boot then look for ECW boot ( extreme cold weather) cracking boots brand new) £65 don't go for the older pro boot or failing that if you prefer a tarty name brasher hill master £135 both waterproof both warm vibram sole just depends how flush you are

Mark

Second that, they are cracking boots, especially for the money;)

I have a pair of HAIX, same as used by special forces. They are excellent, but they have to be looked after. Providing you keep them cleaned and polished you shouldn't have a problem.

I dont mind spendin the extra for quality, but what makes the Meindl's so much better than a cheaper Goretex lined boot that you can buy for about £100 ?

Good question Cliff.
The answer is the design and the build quality. Firstly, the leather is excellent quality stuff, surrounded by a tough rubber rand above the sole to protect it. The vibram sole is grippy and durable. The memory foam system makes it, for me, the most comfortable boot you'll ever wear, particularly straight out of the box. And it's all been put together just so well. Mine have been with me a loads of trips to the Lakes, wear them year round on the river, and despite that, given a clean, you'd say they were barely worn in!
Pay your money, but they are to be discontinued very soon.
I am seriously considering, with that in mind, getting another pair.

I've never really been a boot man, preferring wellies or moon boots in the winter and walking trainers (Meindl's as it happens, though I had to go to the cupboard to check) or sandals (depending on where I'm fishing of course) in the summer.
However, after reading the glowing endorsements for these boots I thought I might be missing out so decided to look at a few more reviews.
The go outdoors website was very revealing, there are plenty of glowing reviews but there was also a worrying number of not so happy punters. I came away with the impression that the earlier versions of this boot were very very good but later changes to the design had reduced the life span. There is also a worrying amount of people complaining about the soles splitting and/or coming detached from the uppers and the leather cracking and splitting along the toe creases. This would suggest to me that reputation was built on the early versions and the company has continued to trade on it while using cheaper materials,it also raised a few questions about quality control during the manufacturing process. On balance I think I will keep my money in my wallet and when my Aigle wellies eventually let me down invest in a new pair of neoprene ones.

Back