• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Boots

Richard Brown

This may well have been covered before , best water proof and very warm boots that are good to walk a fair distance in aswell please.

Thanks.

Don't wish to suggest you can't start a thread asking about a subject you guess has been covered before ............

but at top right hand of a forum table see "search this forum"

Simple search enter "boots"

Advanced search enter more detailed search parameters​

Muck Speys for me too

paul4

Take a look at the 'Berghaus' range of boots. Purpose built for walking and waterproof also. Got a pair going well through their third winter, and get used lots for dog walking also. Not the cheapest but they're well made. I,ve got a three season rated pair and with good thermal socks they keep the cold at bay.

Another vote for the muck boot spey. I'm sure there are warmer boots out there but these definitely give the best compromise between warmth and comfort when walking long distances. In fact they are so comfortable that I probably wear them at times when I could get away with wearing my usual hiking boots. They are not cheap but if you feel the cold in your tootsies like I do then they are a very sound investment indeed.:)

I walked about 4 miles today in my muckboot tay sports. I was a bit apprehensive about a long slog in wellies but they were warm, comfortable and dry. i will be sitting on the bank for a few hours tomorrow - other bits might get frozen but at least my feet will be warm.

Steve

Been doing a fair bit of online research since the week-end for solutions to this very issue.

My conclusion, guided by many different web-sites, blogs etc,, was to opt for Muckboots as a mid- to high-price quality range of footwear (as with quite a few other contributors to BFW) and, in particular, the Spey wellington, in terms of rugged design, sure wet-weather grip and, most importantly, warmth in severe cold conditions. Not forgetting the fact that the flexible neoprene wellington-style design allows for the upper part of the boot to be rolled down, when conditions improve to create an additional field-boot style.

I would have certainly gone for the Tay Sport as a first choice (also highly recommended) but sadly this style has been phased out by its American suppliers (unless you take size 3 or size 12 (!!), which are still showing as residual stock on some sites). It seems that the Spey is virtually the Tay Sport in all but name except for the trendy(?) camo design of the calf area.

Anyway, I ordered a pair on Monday (cheapest price I could find was £89.94 incl p+p while Amazon wanted £108!!!) ) and they arrived Wednesday morning, and they DO feel very snug and comfortable to walk in. Also, because of the triple-layer design (just order your normal shoe size) I only need medium style socks rather than thick, chunky thermal ones.

I'm out on the Derwent today hoping for a perch or two, so what better way to trial them now?!

Thanks to other contributors who helped me make my decision.

Roger

Last edited:
Muckboot Spey been using them for years.
If you have issues about grip (for any boot/wellies etc), say in snowy conditions, then try attaching a pair of YAKTRAX.
Bob

Got a pair of Tay's Monday, been out this week in them and they're excellent. Very comfortable and kept my feet warm even when stood in the river all day! The grips are very good, snow, ice muddy banks were no problem.
Only downside, I fished sat in one spot all day today and my feet were quite cold.

Spey Sport

Seems everyone has done their homework on this one, Spey or Tay for most. Muckboot Tay Sport for me too, combined with Brasher 4 season socks. Toasty !

Nick C

I spent about 5 hours on The Derwent (Derbys) today and was more than happy with the Spey Muckboots I ordered on Monday.

They have great grip on both mud and ice/snow, are snug and comfortable but, most importantly, my feet stayed warm as toast all day!!

Seeing your post, Karl, I would imagine you've got yourself the basic Tay wellington and not the Tay Sport, which although they were credited with being much the warmest of the Muckboot range, have recently been discontinued, with the Spey now being the nearest cold weather equivalent.

Regards

Roger

PS I also used Brasher socks instead of my usual thicker thermal variety, Nic, and they made a great combo.

Last edited:
Back