• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Books

Richard Burton

Hope i have posted this in the correct area, but some advice on books would be appreciated.
I am not a big reader and find it quite hard to concentrate long enough on a book to get to the end, however i recently bought a copy of Rod, Pole or Perch off a car boot and really enjoyed it.
So now looking for similer or interesting books that dont just talk about catches , but include the travels to the bank and adventures during days out etc...
Looking on the net i can see that the following have good reviews but any advice on books you have read would be welcome.
Rod and Rell by Ather Ransom
An anglers hours and An open creel by H.T Sherringham.
Fishing for a year by Jack Hrgreaves.

Hi mate, anything by Chris Yates I think youd enjoy. Also a really interesting book is blood knots by Luke Jennings, and 'while my floats still cocked' by Maurice pledger

Cheers steve I will have a look at those options, just checked on the ones i said had good reviews and they seem to revolve around fly fishing.so not too interested in those now.

Echo the Chris Yates also with John Geirach.

Geirach is an American fly fishing writer who has an unique outlook on life.

I have just started "A Dream of Jewelled Fishes" by John Aston, very good.

Don't be mistaken by Sheringham's name as a writer of things trouty, he really bucked a trend in writing a great deal about coarse fishing too.
For me, he's the one I turn to when wishing a session were not so far away as it might be.

Regards

Damian Kimmins

Arthur Ransome also wrote the series of children's books Swallows and Amazons (make sure you have safe search on when you google that one) Rod and Line is a lovely little book and well worth the few quid it will cost you.

'On Fishing' by Brian Clarke, The Times angling correspondent, is an enjoyable book to dip into. Don't be put off by the fact that it has fly fishing at its core....it opened my eyes to what the sport in general is about.

'How to Fish' by Chris Yates is not what the title suggests, but will have you retracing your steps to parts of a river that you'd previously overlooked.

Terry Lampards book is v good as is the Phil Smith/Horak and I have a few tony miles books also v good!

Red Letter Days is also really good!

Catching The Impossible is a good read and if you like a bit of Carping then I can recommend Dave Lane's A Flick Of The Tale

I like Chris Yates' River Diaries, and the Deepening Pool. I also really enjoyed a book called 'For All Those Left Behind' which had an angling theme.

I've got a signed copy of the Catching the Impossible book for sale here:

Barbel Fishing World Online Shop

cheers,

Andy F

Back