• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Books

T

Tom Herbert

I have a fairly decent bookshelf at home, or at least I think I have, lots of different titles and authors from the fishing world.

I enjoy reading Yates and Geirach, Thomas McGuane’s book the Longest Silence is worth the money alone for the cover shot. I have lots of barbel books and a good sprinkling of carp, roach, perch and pike books as well as one or two from around the world.

I am sure you have all a good selection of fishing related books sitting on he shelf and you all have your own personal favourite……………………. So if you had to choose just one, which one would it be and why?

Tom.

I still re read The Deepening Pool by Chris Yates.

It tells the perfect story of one mans awakening and the developing passion for Barbel.

Its a journey with friends and covers the successes and failures beautifully.

I am always left cold by technical books.

Graham

Tom

A thread often raised but nonetheless a nice one to muse over, for me Chris Yates has the gift of writing fishing stories as if you had experienced the adventure yourself, there are always elements that you can identify with personally. Graham The Deepening Pool is one of my favourites too and Out of the Blue is a delight.

Our very own prolific poster Paul Boote's absolute cracker "Somewhere down the Crazy River" a book that is so rich and smooth in its description that if it were chocolate it would be 70 percent cacao.

And for the best and I mean the very best book on barbel fishing, not techniques, not how to catch more but the fascinating history of the development of barbel fishing and the characters who shaped it, then Jon Berry's - A Can of Worms has no equal.

If any of the aforementioned books are missing from your collection then be sure to plug the gap.

Regards

Les

Casting at the sun
The Deepening pool
The secret carp
How to Fish

I know a good place (Clive Gammon)

Globetrotters Quest (amazing photography and some serious Spanish Barbel)

A Flick of the Tale

Favourite barbel book - Elite Barbel by Tony Miles. Fascinating account of fishing the Ouse in its prime and Tony's notes on modern baits have had a real impact on my fishing. Not quite my favourite fishing book however....

I have a battered old copy of Confessions of Carp Fisher by BB which I took it on holiday to re-acquaint myself with this wonderful book. It is amazing that in 1950 BB was writing about many methods of catching carp that are all the rage among modern carpers. Zig rigs and bait boats both get a mention (although not by name!). BB's words were an inspiration for many modern writers and his book perfectly captures the magic of fishing long forgotten pools for hidden and mysterious monsters.

Steve

Hi men ,

Tiger Bay - Rob Maylin , as I caught some of the fantastic Leeney carp pictured from Arlsey , and was stood behind the camera on lots of the others . Spent many hilarious hours with him , most Wednsdays out at the pub , 6 of us in his left hand drive Renault 5 :eek:, happy days indeed .

Hatter

' A dream of jewelled fishes '- John Aston . It's a classic as none anglers of my acquaintance who have read it think it's brilliant . That to me is the sign of a great angling book . In a similar vein '' How to fish '' by the modern master Chris Yates . Paul Boote's chapters in ' Somewhere down the crazy river ' , stunning writing

Last edited:
Whenever I look at "Fishing with Mr Crabtree In All Waters" my childhood enthusiasm for fishing is rekindled. I know it'll never be like that again (was it ever really like "that" in the first place...) but it makes me want to take my own children fishing and that can't be a bad thing.

"Somewhere Down The Crazy River" is my personal favourite, especially the Goliath Tigerfish chapters followed a close second by "Globetrotters Quest" which has probably the best angling photography you will see in a book!!

Regards

Wazzy

In no particular order, and for many different reasons...

Casting at the Sun and Deepening Pool - Chris Yates
Somewhere down the Crazy River - Paul Boote's chapters especially.
Trout Bum - John Gierach
The Longest Silence - Thomas McGuane
A River Runs Through It - Norman Maclean
I Know a Good Place - Clive Gammon
Woldale - Maurice Ingham
Drop Me a Line - Ingham and Walker
Ferox Trout and Arctic Charr - Ron Greer.

I met Greer for coffee last week in a remote Highlands cafe and knew that, for once, I was in the presence of bona fide genius. A remarkable gent.

I've doubtless missed lots out as my favourites vary from day to day, but none of the above ever disappoint.

regards all

Jon

As well as most of the above:
On Fishing by Brian Clarke (fishing correspondent for the Times). A compilation of stories, articles etc which extoll the virtues of the sport. If you've never fished for Trout it's a fantastic introduction without the feeling you're being told how to do something. One of those books you pick up then put down....to think deeply about what you've just experienced.

Hi Guys,
Red Letter Days, I must have read some chapters literally dozens of times, I'm still inspired to' go fishing' every time I pick it up.
Tight Lines,
Graham.

For fiction, the chapter on fishing in George Orwell's Coming up for Air takes some beating.
John Gierach's Trout Bum and our own dear Boote's Somewhere Down the Crazy River take the bait as best general fishing yarns (if only I hadn't given my copy away in a fit of generosity and lacking the knowledge that it would never be re printed). Chris Yates, Deepening Pool gets to me when in a overly romantic mode, but sometimes he can be arch to say the least.
My favourite instructional book is The Rod and The Gun, James Wilson's 1844 classic, perhaps a little dated!

I suppose Still Water Angling by a certain Richard Walker is a bit of a cliche but it was the book that inspired me (and many others) to start specimen fishing.

Others would include A River For All Seasons by Tom Williams, Modern Specimen Hunting by Jim Gibbinson and Big Fish Angling by Tony Miles.

Recent favourites have included First Cast by Terry Lampard and Avon Days and Stour Ways by Kevin Grozier although I have to admit that I may be biased as both books cover many of the waters that I have fished down here in Hampshire and Dorset.

Dave

Maurice Wiggin's The Passionate Angler - a forgotten classic, if you only want to read about monsters avoid this book. If you need a reminder as to why you fish, get your mitts on a copy asap!:)

"Going Fishing" by Negley Farson. First published in the 1940s and still available cheaply as the book has had many reprints. Says so much about fishing, wherever you fish, whatever you fish for...

Back