• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Boilies.....

Chris Cheshire

I am gonna give boilies a shot this winter, would appreciate opinions on size and flavours you guys find effective during the colder spells

Just a novice at this lark having only taken up serious barbel fishing this season.

However, I have noticed over the past few weeks as it has got cooler, the river higher and more coloured that boilies are less effective and meat baits are taking over especially if they are a bit whiffy. I have been using garlic spam with a curry powder coating.

Hi Chris,
Wow.....thats a question to which you could get a 100 answers. FWIW, many years ago I'd use a high milk base bait with a sweetener. Used sparingly it can be very effective.

Ian

Any of the well known boilies will catch mate, eg Source, Active 8, Trigga, XXX, Savoury Spice etc etc, but they will all also perform better with a wrap of paste;)

Many of the lads undoubtably have their own "secret" recipies but I can assure you that a campaign using any good meaty/fishy boilie will catch you a fish or two;)

The worst thing you could do however is to swap and change on a whim based on a lack of confidence.

Any of the propriety boilies I have mentioned above will catch Barbel as indeed will any other proven boilie with a similar makeup provided it is applied with some consistency and confidence (pre baiting etc).

I must close on one note though!

A good pellet will catch all year round;) Just add some pellet paste in those colder times when you want a flavour trail:)

I have been using 18mm Caviar and Cranberry or Spicy Lobster glugged in Aminol. Wichworth Extracta. Am just having some squid, glm and cranberry made for me. Have had no luck on meat yet.

Whatever boilie you use Chris, the most negative thing you can do is overdo the freebies. This also obviously applies to pellets. I think the Kennet suffers badly from this sort of thing. As others have said, most boilies will catch barbel with krill and crab being my own particular favourite as regards shelf life boilies.

Location location location but for the record I've been using pallatrax elixer 6 sticks wrapped in matching paste works for me
Mark

dynamite have brought a few new ones out last week.
marine halibut with sea salt
the crave
crab and garlic
squid liver and black pepper
all worth a good shout to be honest.

Hi men,

No need to put many , if any , in while your fishing . Trim round them to make a apple core shape for hookbaits . Wizz up half a bag in a blender , and add an egg for a rough texture , fast breakdown paste , and wrap the hookbait , as it sticks to this shape well . Alternatively two boillies with paste .

Hatter

Hi men,

No need to put many , if any , in while your fishing . Trim round them to make a apple core shape for hookbaits . Wizz up half a bag in a blender , and add an egg for a rough texture , fast breakdown paste , and wrap the hookbait , as it sticks to this shape well . Alternatively two boillies with paste .

Hatter

Nicely put Mark - similar approach for me too

if using 2 rods ,then two baits,, but i tend to go on the lead with pva bags, as i do not what to over feed then, but give them a taste , so they start to grub around looking for it,
but for me at moment, its glugged sorce bollies and trigga glugged bollies, even when barbel have showned still had chubb on them,

meat wise, chunk luncheon meat, glugged in oxo, vindaloo paste, chicken curry, meatballs glugged in hemp oil, etc etc,, have herd people getting barbel on black pudding,though i have tried it my self, ?????

if using 2 rods ,then two baits,, but i tend to go on the lead with pva bags, as i do not what to over feed then, but give them a taste , so they start to grub around looking for it,
but for me at moment, its glugged sorce bollies and trigga glugged bollies, even when barbel have showned still had chubb on them,

meat wise, chunk luncheon meat, glugged in oxo, vindaloo paste, chicken curry, meatballs glugged in hemp oil, etc etc,, have herd people getting barbel on black pudding,though i have tried it my self, ?????
black pudding, eels and pike, i stopped using that...:p

If you're going to use Boilies in colder water then go for something that uses an EA (Ethyl Alchohol) flavours rather than Oil based. Fishmeals will still work fine but are better mixed with a birdfood so you get a faster leak off of flavour. If you keep trickling a few baits in to a swim on a little and often basis in between sessions (not always easy with busy lives) Barbel will keep feeding on them through the winter even in very cold conditions (though they do switch off when the water temp falls below about 5*c)

Another good idea to boost the attraction is to make up a water soluable dip/gulg with something like Pure fish protien and your choice of EA flavour.

Carp Company Winter Red work well as do John Baker Frost and Flood.

Cheers for the suggestions guys, have just grabbed some "source" boilies to try, I have ordered 10mm and 15mm - does anyone have any suggestions for a good off the shelf winter specific boilie?

Back