• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Boilies poll

If you use boilies, which type do you use:

• Shelf-life

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Fresh/frozen

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • Homemade

Votes: 15 16.1%

• Total voters

Richard Parsons

Following on from the "milk" thread I thought it might be interesting to learn the percentage of boilie users who use shelf-life, fresh/frozen or homemade baits.

I've made the poll single choice, based on the assumption that each angler would normally stick to one type (sorry if this isn't the case).....

Shelfies for barbel because they live in my bag most of the time. For my carp always frozen (I have a bait freezer in the garage) unless doing say a week in France then I will use shelfies too.

Make my own all the way. There is just something a little bit special when you start catching well and have confidence in a bait that you’ve made yourself. I don’t mean followed a trend or a typical recipe I mean added your own things to personalise your bait so that you and only you are gonna be the only one casting that particular bait out. I doubt very much in most cases that the barbel give a hoot but it’s nice to know something you’ve worked on is working for you.

Thanks, all, for your responses. Unsurprisingly, shelf-life is the most popular. Referring again to the "milk" thread once more, I wonder how many of use have been inspired to have a go at making their own boilies? I think I'll be giving it a go at some point, having not really considered it before.

Thanks, all, for your responses. Unsurprisingly, shelf-life is the most popular. Referring again to the "milk" thread once more, I wonder how many of use have been inspired to have a go at making their own boilies? I think I'll be giving it a go at some point, having not really considered it before.
I always used to stick with the shelfys. Typical tried and tested baits like source, crave etc but in recent years started making my own and have settled on a little contraption that I have put together and seems to work. I wouldn’t say my bite rate has improved since making the swap as the tried and tested certainly proved fruitful but it hasn’t gone down either. What it has doe is it has enspired my confidence in a boilie that I’ve made myself from my own ingredients

Back