• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Boilie making

Richard Burton

A question to all who have tried or know how to make boilies, I am about to have a go at some simple boilies using a base of Soya flour and Semolina, I intend to add a powdered flavouring, and fancy the crunch factor as well.
Question is what percentage of flavouring lets say fishmeal to the soy flour and semolina mix, also I was going to try hemp as a crunch factor, would you use cooked or uncooked hemp for crunch also I was going to liquidise it but maybe just give it a bit of a crushing with a mallet in a bag as liquidising may get rid of the crunch factor and make it too mushy /
Its my first attempt so any advice welcome before I start.

Cheers Ian, I don't expect any mixes to be forthcoming just a percentage of mix really, I will take a look thanks.

Your best bet is to make up 3 small mixes with 30%,40% 50% fishmeal and see how each turns out. Fishmeal's can vary and you need to see which mix rolls and sticks together best.You might also try boiling some for 1 minute,some 1.5 and 2 minutes and then dry overnight .While trialing your mixes make sure you know what each one is and write it down. I would liquidise Hemp ,if you are sure you want to use it,too big a particle/amount will make the boilie fall apart too easy.If you find out the 50% fishmeal mix is best next time try 60%.I used to make a boilie with a very high level of predigested fishmeal and it worked stupidly well but was a busturd to roll.My Missus called the finished article dog dirt and refused to let me make it in the house ,you might also add robin red for a spice. Hope this helps.

Again brilliant and saved to my favourites, looking forward to having a go now.

Be a nice feeling if I can make my own and catch on them.

Gents another thought has passed through my head like tumbleweed.
If I want to freeze my boilies, am I better to freeze as soon as they have cooled or let them dry out overnight before freezing?

Let them dry out for 12/24 hours first Richard. Either in a mesh drying bag or on a mesh drying tray, single layer if possible. Keep shaking the bag to move damp surfaces to the outside if that's what you are using, same if you are using more than one layer in a tray.

However, you really need to look online for some suitable basic mixes, because the content and percentages of the ingredients in yours will decide whether it is a viable mix...or a total disaster that is either impossible to roll, falls apart in the swim, or whatever. I would help if I could, but I always bought proprietary base mixes, adjusted to personalise them, then went with that. C.C.Moore used to have several DIY mixes and suggestions on their site...not sure if they still do.

Cheers, Dave.

If you are keen to get into DIY bait making then I suggest you get hold of a couple old classic Carp books, Carp Fever by Kevin Maddocks and The Carp Strikes Back by Rod Hutchinson both contain a lifetimes worth of information regarding bait and ingredients and would keep you going for a long time.
Fred

Done some reading on base mixes and ingredients, and I think I may not be far off, I am trying a simple mix that on the venue I fish on the Severn im hoping me be the right combination.
But who knows, itl be fun trying anyway, mind you I remember saying that many years ago when we where trying for kids, and blow me I got it right first time, bet the boilies don't go as well lol

Back