• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Boilie favourites/recommendations?

I have been using Dynamite baits, primarily the Source and Crave for well over 5yrs now. Still do fine on them just wondering what others use?. As I have an urge to change things up a bit, was looking at the baits from the hook bait company. If anyone has used them or can recommend?

Thanks
Darren

I used to use Source and liked it. When I've used boiles recently it's been Trent Baits Freshwater Shrimp as that's what I've have for carp fishing. Initially I wasn't completely convinced on it for barbel but my confidence in it is steadily growing. They've caught me fish on my first visit to a few places. I think perhaps the barbel aren't so fussy and the all important thing is confidence, if it aint broke don't fix it?

For the past few seasons I have used CC Moore's Pacific Tuna.
Very good results across the board on both weights and numbers.
Mainly use the dumbell size, more economical for feeding them in
a decent amount in the warmer months, we Yorkshire lads are not made of money! :)

I use home made boilies but if I used shop bought I wouldn’t use the shelf life ones because there full of preservatives but that’s just me. I’ve heard from a man that knows that the fish will eat them but will struggle to digest them. Especially in winter

As Hatter says, Sticky Krill Active are a bloody good bait. Had a few on them this season - just fished singles, over no freebies. I’d always done okay with the standard versions. But they seem to love the active ones! Using them in preference JB homemade baits at the moment, but that may change as the colder temps set in.

As an aside to this…I had a very interesting chat last week with someone who used to be a big name in the carp bait world; now this might be something that is not news to you but was to me - the baits provided to bait testers was/is made from top quality ingredients to get the results, then once established/promoted the actual bait sold to the public has less than prime ingredients or is cut with inferior bulking agents to reduce cost..ie not the same bait testers use. This was a tactic used by some top companies apparently. Maybe I was naive to think otherwise but still a shock.
The take home message was source your own ingredients!!

As an aside to this…I had a very interesting chat last week with someone who used to be a big name in the carp bait world; now this might be something that is not news to you but was to me - the baits provided to bait testers was/is made from top quality ingredients to get the results, then once established/promoted the actual bait sold to the public has less than prime ingredients or is cut with inferior bulking agents to reduce cost..ie not the same bait testers use. This was a tactic used by some top companies apparently. Maybe I was naive to think otherwise but still a shock.
The take home message was source your own ingredients!!
I don't see why this wouldn't be true, I can for sure imagine companies replacing the higher quality/purer ingredients with lower quality stuff. Just on a cost saving exercise, it would make sense. I suppose there is no real way of knowing unless you're actively purchasing ingredients direct or use someone you can trust.

I use home made boilies but if I used shop bought I wouldn’t use the shelf life ones because there full of preservatives but that’s just me. I’ve heard from a man that knows that the fish will eat them but will struggle to digest them. Especially in winter
Something I have never heard before that, interesting for sure tho. I'm aware lots who use frozen would refuse to use shelflife. However, I assumed that was due to the "preservative" ingredients in them putting fish off.

Back