• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Bogus Environment Agency Officers

Garry Lee

Just read this story on the Eastleigh & District site:

"The Environment Agency have had reports from the Southampton area of a male impersonating an EA Fisheries Officer. The person concerned is a white male in his mid 30s, around 5'11" with a slim build. He had a foreign accent and was wearing a fluorescent jacket. He showed a white laminated card with the EA logo on to anglers and demanded £3.50 if they were not in possession of a valid rod license. The EA would like to remind clubs and their members that their staff will provide identification. They will never demand money from anglers at the bankside and will never ask for money to be sent to them directly at a later date. They are working with the police to address this issue and raising awareness of this incident via a number of communications channels. They anticipate that the individual is targeting the Southampton area. If you are approached by someone you suspect is impostering an EA fisheries bailiff please contact the police on 101."

also had a the same thing happening on the welland in south lincolnshire.

There is another side to this story, the only people this guy is preying on are already fishing without a license so what he is actually doing is giving them a nudge to get a license. The only difference is that instead of being a salaried member of EA staff he's acting as a freelance operative working on piecework.
When they catch him they should give him a job.

There is another side to this story, the only people this guy is preying on are already fishing without a license so what he is actually doing is giving them a nudge to get a license. The only difference is that instead of being a salaried member of EA staff he's acting as a freelance operative working on piecework.
When they catch him they should give him a job.

To right,he is doing a good job:D:D:D

It wouldn't be a story if there wasn't so many people fishing without licenses. Surely that's more to the point.

It wouldn't be a story if there wasn't so many people fishing without licenses. Surely that's more to the point.

I understand your sentiments Paul and Ade, and sympathise to a degree....but surely THE point is that they are BOTH doing something clearly wrong, dishonest and against the law. It does bother me that more and more these days certain forms of dishonesty, even some types of lawbreakers, are seen as OK.....even applauded. I guess Robin Hood is to blame, despite the fact that his good deeds were totally fictitious. Or perhaps it's just my old age showing again :D

Cheers, Dave.

I understand your sentiments Paul and Ade, and sympathise to a degree....but surely THE point is that they are BOTH doing something clearly wrong, dishonest and against the law. It does bother me that more and more these days certain forms of dishonesty, even some types of lawbreakers, are seen as OK.....even applauded. I guess Robin Hood is to blame, despite the fact that his good deeds were totally fictitious. Or perhaps it's just my old age showing again :D

Cheers, Dave.

Good grief, I thought I'd moved beyond the point where I had to punctuate posts with smiley face tongue in cheek things but obviously I was wrong.

Good grief, I thought I'd moved beyond the point where I had to punctuate posts with smiley face tongue in cheek things but obviously I was wrong.

Quite frankly Ade, if you don't want people to take things you say seriously, then yes...you should add a smiley. I recall instances when you have got prickly over something I have said, and that was despite my use of smilies...you can't have it both ways chap :D

The fact is, I didn't take your comments in your post too seriously, I was just pointing out that the last several posts (including yours) had followed a common thread of at least APPEARING to support this fly boy and others like him, despite the fact that he was being totally dishonest and actually breaking the law. I am quite sure that the comments in those posts were tongue in cheek....BUT....they do follow a trend that does exists nowadays (perhaps it always has to some extent, to be honest)...a widespread tacit acceptance of a range of dishonest acts. Sometimes these acts are seen as humorous, on other occasions there is an obvious degree of admiration for the perpetrator, despite the fact that that person is breaking the law. I can only wonder how those 'nudge, nudge, wink, wink, he's a lad' types would react if THEY were the victims of those they tolerate so happily...so long as the joke was on someone else.

It may be as well to remember that those who habitually break the law in minor ways (the things considered as 'acceptable' by many now) do so because they have no respect for the law at all, and are frequently also breaking the law in much more serious ways that we don't know about. The 'Jack the lad' that caused those wry grins by illegally collecting money from other lawbreakers on the bank recently....may also be the guy who stole Scubas tackle...AND the cold caller who ripped your gran off last week by damaging tiles on her roof while cleaning her gutters (which didn't need doing anyway)...then charging her £2000 to repair them. The tolerant smiles wouldn't last long then, would they?

Just my thoughts....and yes, perhaps that makes me an insufferable, cynical OTT old fart. Sorry. On the other hand, rest assured that I will NOT illegally charge you money on the bank, nor steal your tackle...nor rip your old nan off. Perhaps it's time I mended my ways, in order to gain 'street cred' and popularity :D

The bulge that has appeared now is NOT there because I am pleased to see you Ade...it's because MY tongue is firmly in MY cheek as well :D

Sort of :p

Cheers, Dave.

Last edited:
Quite frankly Ade, if you don't want people to take things you say seriously, then yes...you should add a smiley. I recall instances when you have got prickly over something I have said, and that was despite my use of smilies...you can't have it both ways chap :D

The fact is, I didn't take your comments in your post too seriously, I was just pointing out that the last several posts (including yours) had followed a common thread of at least APPEARING to support this fly boy and others like him, despite the fact that he was being totally dishonest and actually breaking the law. I am quite sure that the comments in those posts were tongue in cheek....BUT....they do follow a trend that does exists nowadays (perhaps it always has to some extent, to be honest)...a widespread tacit acceptance of a range of dishonest acts. Sometimes these acts are seen as humorous, on other occasions there is an obvious degree of admiration for the perpetrator, despite the fact that that person is breaking the law. I can only wonder how those 'nudge, nudge, wink, wink, he's a lad' types would react if THEY were the victims of those they tolerate so happily...so long as the joke was on someone else.

It may be as well to remember that those who habitually break the law in minor ways (the things considered as 'acceptable' by many now) do so because they have no respect for the law at all, and are frequently also breaking the law in much more serious ways that we don't know about. The 'Jack the lad' that caused those wry grins by illegally collecting money from other lawbreakers on the bank recently....may also be the guy who stole Scubas tackle...AND the cold caller who ripped your gran off last week by damaging tiles on her roof while cleaning her gutters (which didn't need doing anyway)...then charging her £2000 to repair them. The tolerant smiles wouldn't last long then, would they?

Just my thoughts....and yes, perhaps that makes me an insufferable, cynical OTT old fart. Sorry. On the other hand, rest assured that I will NOT illegally charge you money on the bank, nor steal your tackle...nor rip your old nan off. Perhaps it's time I mended my ways, in order to gain 'street cred' and popularity :D

The bulge that has appeared now is NOT there because I am pleased to see you Ade...it's because MY tongue is firmly in MY cheek as well :D

Sort of :p

Cheers, Dave.

Good grief Dave, lighten up a bit :confused:

I like Adrians comment and fully agree with his sentiments, tounge in cheek or not. A bit like one thief robbing another, who cares??

I like Adrians comment and fully agree with his sentiments, tounge in cheek or not. A bit like one thief robbing another, who cares??

Who cares indeed Alex. I think you will find that is exactly my point. It seems that nowadays nobody cares much about anything.....until it affects them.

We don't care about thieving, we don't care about litter being dropped everywhere, we don't care about our children binge drinking and binge eating and growing morbidly obese in the process, despite knowing that it will shorten their lives dramatically. We don't care that people are dying in the third world, so long as we can continue getting cheap clothes in Primark....we don't even care about Jimmy Saville....until it's big news on the telly. Then of course we have to wail and beat our breasts and scream in horror....and those screaming the loudest are those who ABSOLUTELY new it was going on all the time. And that includes the police, the high ups in the BBC, members of the staff at hospitals and children's homes....staff in these places arranged rooms for the dear chap to operate...and even bought the children to these rooms for his pleasure. But they weren't THEIR children were they? Doesn't matter then, does it? So, best to let the 'Who cares' culture continue then I guess. I mean, it won't happen again will it?

Then again....who cares?

Cheers, Dave.

Last edited:
Who cares indeed Alex. I think you will find that is exactly my point. It seems that nowadays nobody cares much about anything.....until it affects them.

We don't care about thieving, we don't care about litter being dropped everywhere, we don't care about our children binge drinking and binge eating and growing morbidly obese in the process, despite knowing that it will shorten their lives dramatically. We don't care that people are dying in the third world, so long as we can continue getting cheap clothes in Primark....we don't even care about Jimmy Saville....until it's big news on the telly. Then of course we have to wail and beat our breasts and scream in horror....and those screaming the loudest are those who ABSOLUTELY new it was going on all the time. And that includes the police, the high ups in the BBC, members of the staff at hospitals and children's homes....staff in these places arranged rooms for the dear chap to operate...and even bought the children to these rooms for his pleasure. But they weren't THEIR children were they? Doesn't matter then, does it? So, best to let the 'Who cares' culture continue then I guess. I mean, it won't happen again will it?

Then again....who cares?

Cheers, Dave.

Quite David. I wonder how many would take up checking the close season anglers given the chance.
Funnily, I saw someone yesterday fishing the Itchen. I enquired what he'd had and expressed the thought that it was the close season at present. He told me it depended what size fish you were fishing for. I nearly cried with laughter.

It is funny Damien but it is also typical of the sort of ignorance which is found among casual anglers. I'm aware of plenty of people in my local area who regularly pick up a rod on a bank holiday and go and have a dabble with never a thought for buying a club card let alone a license.

Any law is only worth having if it can be policed properly. In an age where teenage drivers will flaunt the driving laws, regularly take drugs and drink to excess, while having no respect for the law, other people and least of all themselves. All the time knowing that should they get caught the consequences are going to be a joke, then it should come as no surprise to anyone that people consider a bit of fishing out of season and without a license to be beyond trivial.

If we don't have the recourses and are not willing as a community to properly police the close season or the rod license laws then perhaps it is time both laws were repealed rather than being a tax on us, the law abiding suckers in society.

Last edited:
It is funny Damien but it is also typical of the sort of ignorance which is found among casual anglers. I'm aware of plenty of people in my local area who regularly pick up a rod on a bank holiday and go and have a dabble with never a thought for buying a club card let alone a license.

Any law is only worth having if it can be policed properly. In an age where teenage drivers will flaunt the driving laws, regularly take drugs and drink to excess, while having no respect for the law, other people and least of all themselves. All the time knowing that should they get caught the consequences are going to be a joke, then it should come as no surprise to anyone that people consider a bit of fishing out of season and without a license to be beyond trivial.

If we don't have the recourses and are not willing as a community to properly police the close season or the rod license laws then perhaps it is time both laws were repealed rather than being a tax on us, the law abiding suckers in society.

I have said it before and I will say it again, we must aspire to do what is correct, irrespective of whether the strong arm of the law can follow us. If anglers interested in upholding the close season were empowered to police it, how many would take up the mantle? In a logical argument that should be more of a consideration than how long offenders might get. Society's aspirations used to have some clout mainly because we had them. Now, if it's not a contradiction in terms, I see a society of automatons, given only to considering the individual.

The country today is a very different on to the one which I was brought up to. The values which and my generation aspired to were pretty well wiped out by the selfish avarice of the 80s. I tried to hold on to them for close to thirty years but the fact is you cant put the toothpaste back in the tube.
The world of a society which polices itself and looks out for it's neighbors has gone (if it ever existed). Thatcher once said there is no such thing as community and then did her utmost to prove herself right.
She was successful beyond her dreams.

The country today is a very different on to the one which I was brought up to. The values which and my generation aspired to were pretty well wiped out by the selfish avarice of the 80s. I tried to hold on to them for close to thirty years but the fact is you cant put the toothpaste back in the tube.
The world of a society which polices itself and looks out for it's neighbors has gone (if it ever existed). Thatcher once said there is no such thing as community and then did her utmost to prove herself right.
She was successful beyond her dreams.

I think Adrian, when you read the interview from Woman's Own, she was in agreement with us. Her point was to say that society begins with individuals and if those individuals will give only thought to their own wants, there will be no society.
I think we might look to the 60's for the beginning of the importance of individual expression.

This story reminds me of the car park attendant at Bristol Zoo. Apparently a proud old soldier who did not have a day on the sick in the twenty years he did the job. Turned up to work in sunshine, snow or blow. On the first day he missed in twenty years the Zoo management phoned the council to complain about the carpark remaining unmanned and locked to be greeted with the reply "we thought he worked for you". A fiver a day x 365 x 20 years = a fair old pension supplement.

Back