• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Boat hire on the trent

Alex Chalmers-Wilkes

evening all, I was just wandering if anyone knew of a place that hires day boats for fishing on the trent. preferably near collingham just to narrow down a place. but around that area.
looking at something between 12-14 foot long for 2 people and preferably with an outboard motor.
if anyone has one and would be willing or maybe they do hire there own boat out for fishing I would be very grateful for any information.
was just thinking a boat would allow me to fish more freely rather than being stuck in a couple of places.
Many thanks
Alex

You might want to check on the licence/insurance requirements before pursuing it. Might get a tad expensive!

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjo...your-boat-licence/short-term-visitor-licences

You would of course still be required to purchase club membership/day tickets as controlling clubs have fishing rights to mid-river from their respective banks. Apologies if you already know this but my own experience suggests that some people think they are exempt from club membership when fishing from a boat.

Last edited:
You might want to check on the licence/insurance requirements before pursuing it. Might get a tad expensive!

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjo...your-boat-licence/short-term-visitor-licences

You would of course still be required to purchase club membership/day tickets as controlling clubs have fishing rights to mid-river from their respective banks. Apologies if you already know this but my own experience suggests that some people think they are exempt from club membership when fishing from a boat.
Thank you Gavin I didn't really think of that. but surely the club has the right to fish from the bank only and not the water in general. im a member of a club in Suffolk. and I have the right to fish from the bank but. iv seen many of people fishing from kayaks who are not member's of the club as the water way if free to use to anyone. as long as they have a watercraft licence etc. but I will definitely find out from respected clubs before fishing.

Cannot see the anglers in 1 and 1a being very happy with a boat parked in the middle of their weir after booking and waiting a year to fish the pegs . You may attract a few 6 oz leads or boilies :D:D:D. Would be a great idea to map out the drop off areas along that stretch to target from the bank.

That's understandable. I though I would ask the question. I am not from collingham area so didn't know what the rules and regs where with boating etc. I think il stick to the bank for fishing then. thanks guys.

Its legal to fish from a boat in the tidal Trent or any other river tidal section as long as you don't tie up to a bank. Obviously consideration of other anglers must be considered.
The weir at Collingham is a belting venue from the boat for barbel, its possible to fish the opposite innermost side of the weir and be totally out of range of the bank anglers but as said its problematic since the drowning and best avoided.
The main problem with boat fishing on the tidal Trent is the lack of slipways as there aren't any, you can travel from the upper river but its a long way and time consuming.

Its legal to fish from a boat in the tidal Trent or any other river tidal section as long as you don't tie up to a bank. Obviously consideration of other anglers must be considered.
The weir at Collingham is a belting venue from the boat for barbel, its possible to fish the opposite innermost side of the weir and be totally out of range of the bank anglers but as said its problematic since the drowning and best avoided.
The main problem with boat fishing on the tidal Trent is the lack of slipways as there aren't any, you can travel from the upper river but its a long way and time consuming.
As far as I'm aware it's still not allowed for anglers in boats into the weir pool. I don't see the point in fishing at all costs, just to catch some fish either.... deaths and casualties prove this imo.

What is considered as tidal with regards to riparian rights does not necessarily equate to the actual tidal limit of a river. As far as I'm aware, this is the case at Collingham and for miles downstream. It's most certainly tidal, but that does not automatically mean that it can be fished from a boat without permission.

Good points all round really. I cant see why fishing cant be fished from a boat. at the end of the day as far as i am a wear anglers pay to from the bank of say collingham weir because the banks ( LAND ) belong to someone else like a farmer. therefore collingham weir anglers club pays the land owner a certain amount each year to give people the right to fish the waters. but as for cant fish in the weir im not fully on board with that. as long as the boat is licenced and the anglers have the correct fishing licence etc. why cant anglers fish from a boat. there is more freedom of movement rather than being pegged to one spot. as for slipways there is always somewhere to launch a boat. sea strikes can be launched with 2 people as they are lightweight. so a slipway is not always necessary and as for deaths etc. well that's very unfortunate but sea fisherman risk there lives every time they go to work.

Back