• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Blues For The Last Day...

Hi men,

Could not get out for the last few dsys due to WORK . 3 months will fly , canal fishing localy for perch / carp, and perhaps a trip looking for mullet . Looking at new bits of river .

Then theres the gigs / festivals coming up , horses , chickens , dog , getting back on the bike , Sues cottage garden is just coming through , the veg garden is looking great with potatos "chitting " on all the window ledges . The bird camera box is showing a blue tit sleeping , and making a nest live on our tv !. Restoring the cottage ( never ending ) , and following Luton Town , 3 months will fly.

Born to fish :D , forced to work :mad:

Hatter

Middle trent decided to stick with the crowds needed company as thought my job was going , found out today it isnt , only 5 fish out on entire length couple of guys had a 7lber each , i faired alot better 8lb 2oz and finished with a 10lb 6oz but highlight for me was witnessing weighing a taking pics for 60+ guy who beat his 6 years standing pb with lovely fish of 12lb 12oz

Managed to fish the 12th, on the ouse & the finished the season by fishing the 14th on the lea. Both sessions produced blanks, which incidentally is how the anglers i spoke to fared.
On the bright side i immersed myself in the atmosphere & enjoyed some glorious spring sunshine on the last day.
Hopefully in the next three months, i might squeeze a tench session or two in. (Due to work & other interests only managed 1 last close season).
Kind Regards
Andy

Hi men ,

Clive , any barbel fishing in you area :D

Hatter

Oui! About 415 metres from the cottage door straight across a sheep pasture is La Vienne and it is snided with barbel, carp and catfish. The stretch that borders the farm where we live is about 100 metres wide, very shallow and very, very fast with huge boulders forming islands and boils. It looks like a Colarado steelhead water. But about 2 km upstream is a small weir and above that is some slower, deeper water that the local lads reckon is a better bet. I walked it with the dog today and it looks very promising. Downstream is another weir that gives the same sort of deeper water and about 20 km downstream is a large dam where double figure cats and huge carp have been taken.

All the tributaries also hold barbel and there is a good selection of different types of water. And, as I said before; it is all free once you have your 92 Euro annual licence.

After a couple of recent blanks I managed a last cast 11.14 - my best from my local river. Then came home and watched Chelsea win - great last day :)

Nice one Mark . Work gone mad and been working 7 days of all times but did pop out for a few hours after work on the river severn and took 2 doubles so felt a bit better

Hi men,

Could not get out for the last few dsys due to WORK . 3 months will fly , canal fishing localy for perch / carp, and perhaps a trip looking for mullet . Looking at new bits of river .

Then theres the gigs / festivals coming up , horses , chickens , dog , getting back on the bike , Sues cottage garden is just coming through , the veg garden is looking great with potatos "chitting " on all the window ledges . The bird camera box is showing a blue tit sleeping , and making a nest live on our tv !. Restoring the cottage ( never ending ) , and following Luton Town , 3 months will fly.

Born to fish :D , forced to work :mad:

Hatter

You don't want to waste your time on gardening, festivals and bird watching, unless it is a Hummingbird. Get down to the river and start doing some serious homework for next season. With no anglers on the banks, it is likely to be a bonanza time for the East Europeans, there is no close season for them. Maybe BFW members might consider a stroll along your favourite stretches from time to time!

You don't want to waste your time on gardening, festivals and bird watching, unless it is a Hummingbird. Get down to the river and start doing some serious homework for next season. With no anglers on the banks, it is likely to be a bonanza time for the East Europeans, there is no close season for them. Maybe BFW members might consider a stroll along your favourite stretches from time to time!

Dear me Jim, you mustn't say things like that mate :eek: Just because it happens to be true is no excuse you know! The 'EE police' will be on your case in no time for that dreadful slip! I can only assume that the political correctness barrage of the last ten years or more has not had the desired effect where you are concerned at all Jim....in fact I would go as far as to say that it has failed to brainwash you in any way. Damn....another waste of taxpayers money then :D

Cheers, Dave.

Hi men,

Jim , the nearest bit we fish is a min of 1 1/2 hour drive away :( , so a eve stroll is a bit of a hike :D .

Hatter

2 barbel and a chub from the Wye for me and my pal Nick! Couple of nice dace too! Mates rod got pulled in by a Barbel. Could see it in the middle of the river at the poplars stretch of the Wye.Wouldnt go under because of the cork handle.My mate was pulling his two hairs out at how the fish is tethered and that 200 quids worth of gear is on its way to the bottom of the wye! Thankfully local matchmen, Dave Roberts was fishing down stream and gave us a hand. Went to his car,got his salmon rod,first cast,got the rod back,Barbel still attached,my pal grabbed his rod,played the fish and landed a pristine Barbel! Not a scratch on rod,reel,or fish! Thanks again Mr Roberts! What a guy!

Dear me Jim, you mustn't say things like that mate :eek: Just because it happens to be true is no excuse you know! The 'EE police' will be on your case in no time for that dreadful slip! I can only assume that the political correctness barrage of the last ten years or more has not had the desired effect where you are concerned at all Jim....in fact I would go as far as to say that it has failed to brainwash you in any way. Damn....another waste of taxpayers money then :D

Cheers, Dave.

Interestingly enough Dave, I suspect that about 95% of the indigenous population have the same take on the political correctness issues which are constantly rammed down our throats. I always believed, that politicians who trumpet p.c represented their constituents views, gosh I am naive.

And, Howard, next season, your one and a half hour trip may be a complete waste of time unless someone keeps an eye on the stretch that were hoping to fish!

Hmm.

From talk of one season's ending and the start of others, to....

EDL-Bradford-007.jpg

No, just a warning that when the real Anglers put away one set of rods, the politicos and the rabble rousers look to sow seeds of anger and dissent in idle minds.

Interestingly enough Dave, I suspect that about 95% of the indigenous population have the same take on the political correctness issues which are constantly rammed down our throats. I always believed, that politicians who trumpet p.c represented their constituents views, gosh I am naive.

And, Howard, next season, your one and a half hour trip may be a complete waste of time unless someone keeps an eye on the stretch that were hoping to fish!

What is it with you lot ? You just can't resist it can you . Look at the thread title , instead of paying it lip service and then going off on one with some half baked political point / rant . It saddens me this sort of thing

What is it with you lot ? You just can't resist it can you . Look at the thread title , instead of paying it lip service and then going off on one with some half baked political point / rant . It saddens me this sort of thing

Might I point out Mike that the only two posts on this thread which could in any way be construed as 'Going off on one', 'ranting' or 'making half baked political points' are this last one of yours, and the usual deeply offensive one from Mr. Boote.

Jim is making a valid point, and urging a friend to be vigilant if they are to avoid the 'Blues' for next season....which is not TOO far removed from the aim of the thread, in my opinion. There are many serious, respected anglers out there who can testify as to exactly what the effects of the illegal activity Jim refers to can be on some vulnerable, unprotected fisheries if care is not taken. I am sure they would be only too pleased to relate their personal experiences to anyone if they thought it would help....but most have now discovered it takes people prepared to listen to make that a useful exercise.

Perhaps it would be better if the self appointed 'Post police' were to back off and allow free speech....allow others to make valid points, providing it is done in an inoffensive, honest manner. Raising the temperature by criticising honest folk who only have the interests of their fishery and fishing in general at heart is not, in my opinion, the most helpful of actions....whichever way you care to look at it.

Cheers, Dave.

Irrespective of the pc in correctness of even talking about illegal fishing from a perceived culture that differs from ours, there is a real and present danger from those who do not share our own views on such matters.

So up yours Boote, how you can insinuate that we are thug like because we care about our fisheries is nothing short of jaw dropping even for you. I will as I have always done challenge anyone who is on the rivers in the closed season, and as far as the river Mark is talking of as I live just 20 miles away my dogs will be walked as treat there too.

I mean, if we do NOTHING who will?

Back