• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Blue Mahseer for sale on Ebay

Mark Swaby

Someone's selling Blue Mahseer for sale on Ebay,now that could be interesting.They say for the first time in the UK,considering the fish can grow to at least 80lb, it seems they might be soon coming to a river near to you.Whether they would survive a UK winter, i do not know.The Blue mahseer was a species that was introduced to lots of rivers in southern India and hybridized with both the native silver and gold Mahseer.Sorry i am cannot put a link in,but im sure someone can find it.

Hmm, Carp, Zander, signal and European Crayfish, mitten crabs, grey Squirrels, Japanese knotweed.
Why not import Masheer, what could possibly go wrong?
Might make for some interesting sport if or when they get in the rivers.

Cheers for the link David,a mate hooked a blue about 18 lb on barbel gear and it did about 500 yds on its first run,he had to take to a coracle otherwise it would have spooled him.This type,the blue finned Mahseer is not really known for its hard fighting qualities,compared to the golden's or silver's but boy would they be fun.I wonder if they are supposed to be aquarium fish or pond fish.Anyone fancy fishing uptider's and 40lb line on the Wye. Someone is also bidding on them

Last edited:
Irresponsible and illegal to put them in rivers without EA approval which they would never sanction, won't stop some mind, for once i back the otters.

It never ceases to amaze me what is available in the trade in the Uk. Giant snakehead, arawana, amazon redtail catfish, Mahseer,and lots more species that will quickly outgrow their aquariums.I am surprised there are not masses of exotics being dumped into the wild.

It never ceases to amaze me what is available in the trade in the Uk. Giant snakehead, arawana, amazon redtail catfish, Mahseer,and lots more species that will quickly outgrow their aquariums.I am surprised there are not masses of exotics being dumped into the wild.
Yep, some very unusual fish have turned up, The pumpkinseed is one that has established itself mainly in east Sussex.

Wow, the pumpkinseed ,when my mate Rob caught his first male, he said 'if they grew to 4lb ,everyone would want to catch them,a stunning looking fish. Well the Mahseer sold for £72 plus £ 20 postage.I suspect we will be seeing more on the market.

Back