• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Bleak

Andy Millichamp

I was disappointed to see that there is no thread for that noble fish of the rivers, the Bleak. So here it is, the BFW bleak thread. :)

I had a very enjoyable few hours trotting for the little chaps on the River Severn at the weekend. One of them was not so little and is definitely a new PB. At least it would be if I'd weighed it, but I wasn't convinced my scales would register it! Measured against the span of my fingers (which is 7.5") it was over 6" and I'd guess it was about 2oz which I think would just about make it a specimen. Though I've never weighed a 2oz fish before so I have nothing to compare against, lol! I might even weigh some of my frozen deadbaits on the kitchen scales tonight for comparison :cool: :D

Anybody ever deliberately fished for specimen bleak?

IMAG0507s.jpg

Great Zander bait!

Loved fishing for them when I did competitions - you could do some great weights when a shoal was in front of you. I've never weighed them but have had them to 2oz+

Andy, to come up with a thread like this, I have to assume that barbel wise you are having a very bleak time.

Couldn't resist that :D

Cheers, Dave.

A fabulous bleak though! We dont really get them up here....wonder if i'm missing out?

I'm usually a Tees fisherman - not caught a bleak there yet but thats not to say they arent present??

Not sure I should admit to this but...
I actually had a bleak from the Kennet (while fishing for livebaits for perch) that weighed in 4drams below the UK record at 4oz exactly. It was ridiculous it measured the exact length of those weighmaster flyweight scales with the handle extended.

Many happy memories of bleak bashing comps with school buddies on the lower Warks Avon, at Healings Mill in Tewkesbury. When all else failed to feed, the bleak were the answer. Usually free-lining a couple of maggots on a sixteen hook, off the warf. (those days it was always fishable)

They'd always be the target live bait for pike too. Two bleak, lip hooked on a single treble.

3042529_43eda53d.jpg

I have caught bleak well over 3 oz, in Norway. Almost like a herring! Excellent bait, even for pike. I think pike love them, and prefer a medium bleak to a good sized roach.

Bleak should not be a nuisance when barbel fishing, unless you are fishing really shallow...?

Friend of mine used lip hooked Bleak (early season) to catch Barbel - took on the drop too!

Back