• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Black pepper spam

Darren, you will not see the garlic spam in shops again. I contacted the manufacturers a couple of years ago explaining I couldn't find it and asked where I could get some. They said they had stopped importing into uk due to lack of demand. I even asked if they would sell me a pallet load, but they were not interested.
You could try ordering from the states , but shipment costs are prohibitive.

It's a job to say if the actual flavouring makes a difference all the time. I dug some old tinned sausage cubes out of the freezer last week, they looked awful and were a bit manky smelling, but I had 5 carp in consecutive casts on them, and nothing on boilies. So fish do seem to have preferences but I think it can change from day to day.

Heads up that B&M are doing a run on black pepper spam and seems to be widely available. No sign of the mighty garlic version unfortunately...
THANK YOU a great spot on the black pepper 👍

BUT ! re the Garlic spam was it so good back then because the alternatives we have today were not about then ? are we looking thru rose tinted ?

I do believe a flavoured meat will have the edge due to a better scent trail possibly ? but not convinced Garlic ( that I have 20 odd tins of ) is any better than Hot and spicy or black pepper ?

BUT ! re the Garlic spam was it so good back then because the alternatives we have today were not about then ? are we looking thru rose tinted ?

I do believe a flavoured meat will have the edge due to a better scent trail possibly ? but not convinced Garlic ( that I have 20 odd tins of ) is any better than Hot and spicy or black pepper ?
Totally agree, ive done better with curried spam than i did with the garlic.

I’ve caught well on both but whichever gives you confidence and it’s garlic for me! Well not for me but you know what I mean..

Darren, you will not see the garlic spam in shops again. I contacted the manufacturers a couple of years ago explaining I couldn't find it and asked where I could get some. They said they had stopped importing into uk due to lack of demand. I even asked if they would sell me a pallet load, but they were not interested.
You could try ordering from the states , but shipment costs are prohibitive.

Make your own, it’s surprisingly easy and I added extra garlic:

Make your own, it’s surprisingly easy and I added extra garlic:

Id probably end up eating that on a slow day...

Heads up that B&M are doing a run on black pepper spam and seems to be widely available. No sign of the mighty garlic version unfortunately...

Did they have any of the bbq spam Darren? That's got a nice pong to it, barbel like it anyway, not got much left.

They were all on plain spam Gavin, just had to be patient and wait till one came along.
I think fancy bait gives the angler more confidence, so they think they are fishing better.

They were all on plain spam Gavin, just had to be patient and wait till one came along.
I think fancy bait gives the angler more confidence, so they think they are fishing better.
With the bait choice available today I’d hardly call black pepper spam a fancy bait. And if it gives you confidence whatever it is, isn’t that one of the biggest edges you can get as an angler?

Back