• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Bite Alarm recommendations request.

I've used Att's since they first came out which is probably at least 8 years and in all that time they have not missed a beat!!! the range is fantastic,the battery life is excellent and they are fully waterproof.They don't need snag ears imho but if you want them it's just 4 screws to remove the back and to change the roller it's 1 screw!!! So anyone who can use a screwdriver should not have a problem;)

As said above, I have absolute faith in my ATTS as they have performed faultlessly in all weather.
A friend has recently got a set of the Korum KBI and they seem to be gre at performing alarms so far...so if anyone wants a cheaper option that might be worth a look

I don't get the point about that particular alarm being problem free for a number of reasons...
Firstly - it's basic! is the fact that it's so basic a plus point against any other modern alarm? I respect your devotion to them but by stating the bomb proof reliability point, your kind of inferring that any other alarm, say in the same price bracket with more features may be less so.
You must concede the point that tho your experience with them may well be a positive one... You have to agree that there are better alarms out now with more features etc. To stick with the reliable, ain't bust don't fix it - let's not improve designs to keep up with technology is mad.
I'm sure your looking at this site on a modern device, using broadband not using a modem with anstrad...
Things move on - mostly for the better!

The only problem I find with my bite alarms is that when the bread bobbin dries out it falls off sometime.

Seriously after reading all the actual and potential tec stuff about them
Is I'm glad I bought my NGT ones for about £25 for my twice a year overnight tench lake fish.

If I used them for rivers I would probably fall asleep, as it's simply watching the tip that tells me all I need to know. Also I actually only really feel competent and involved using one rod.

If I did lots of nights they would probably be useful, however, I dont.

The traditional way is the best, Delkims don't belong on rivers , OK for the Carp mud holes but not for Rivers, ask Chris Yates if you need confirmation, the Angler who has a bigger following then anyone on the Planet.
Who need hair rigs anyway?.... don't kid yourself you carpers that you saved us from ourselves, we muddle on very nicely withot all that Carp stuff thank you. :cool:

I met Phil Smith at Adams Mill some years ago, who also has a big following among Barbel anglers. Phil uses bite alarms, and his explanation was that as he gets older he has a tendency to nod off and doesn't want to loose his rod. I am in a similar age bracket as Phil and have to admit to nodding off on occasions myself so I also use alarms now. Nothing special they are small Whychwood ones and cost about £20, there is no reason to lash out a lot of money on alarms for Barbel as one little beep is enough to get you wide awake again.

I thought I would never have to ask this question or even consider using bite alarms for my Barbel fishing, but I have just returned from my first trip to the River Trent & on my next trip I plan to do some over nighters. Therefore, I am looking for suggestions for good makes of bite alarms especially for using on the River Trent. Ideally I'm looking for some that don't give false beeps when for instance weed catching your line or when there are strong gusts of wind etc.

Paul
I have used most alarms over the last 50 odd years and you can now buy decent waterproof alarms very cheaply that will do the job very well
IMO the best alarms ever made are Delkims HOWEVER !! on a Pod they can if not carefully adjusted be a nightmare as Barbel bites are so savage it can set off both alarms due to the vibration technology
I have sold my atts alarms after they cost me a fish when the line went down the side of the roller they are just not for me
I have recently been using some very reasonable priced with every feature you could wish for ( great sensitivity adjustment) alarms that will tick your boxes and some check em out they are my recommendation the JRC Radar CX Alarms

I have sold my atts alarms after they cost me a fish when the line went down the side of the roller they are just not for me [/QUOTE said:
Not really the fault of the alarms Gerry;)

of course it is ?
it cant happen on a Delkim or on my other roller wheel alarms JRC Radar CX or my Nash Siren R1s

Back