• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Bite Alarm recommendations request.

Hi men

Best on the market are Delkims , but might be over the top for river fishing , although iv used them because there is no roller wheel and can be set very sensitive for locked up to snags carping . Id go for nash S5 , quality for a cheap outlay . The S5r have a receiver if you want at slightly extra cost .

Got to agree about moving things forward with tackle , and carp fishing , those who complain are dinosaurs , as if it was not for the advancement due to carp fishing barbel anglers would be miles behind in line , bait , and rod technology.

Hatter

Hatter

I’d be interested to hear if anyone has been happy with any of the cheap Chinese alarms out there, wireless with a receiver.

My very old optonics normally do the job for me but I need some alarms for the occasional overnighter for Tench. I tried the cheap NGT alarms that come with a receiver, less than 40 quid new but the receiver stopped working on their third outing so they went back.

I have both Nash roller alarms and Delkims. I use roller alarms in conjunction with bobbins when fishing stillwater and Delkims on the rare occasions I fish with alarms on rivers. My reasoning is that I've had far too many good pulls that have registered nothing with roller alarms. Delks work in a different way and will respond to taps and knocks that just don't register on a roller alarm.

The traditional way is the best, Delkims don't belong on rivers , OK for the Carp mud holes but not for Rivers, ask Chris Yates if you need confirmation, the Angler who has a bigger following then anyone on the Planet.
Who need hair rigs anyway?.... don't kid yourself you carpers that you saved us from ourselves, we muddle on very nicely withot all that Carp stuff thank you. :cool:

Hi men,

Neil , cant save you , you're to far gone :p.

Hows our little stream mate , anyone fishing it any more ?

Hatter

Hi men,

Neil , cant save you , you're to far gone :p.

Hows our little stream mate , anyone fishing it any more ?

Hatter
Hi Mate, Not fished it for a few seasons I am afraid, does anyone still? Can only hope the maxim that was used for the Teme on here..'What comes round goes round' applies, but probably if it does not in my lifetime.
I have found another little stream that somehow copes with predation, in fact dare I say is thriving. Hope you and Sue are enjoying what ever you are fishing for.

I use these Maver T115's i have 3, had them for must be getting on for 20 years ! I think back then they cost me £9.00 each, i've seen them on ebay for £27.99, ... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173464555979

But shop around on ebay again for 17.49 .... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Maver-Carp-Coarse-Pike-Fishing-T115-Bite-Alarms-Multibuy-Savings/173258806993?_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIM.MBE&ao=2&asc=53676&meid=3c09565e645b4bf4afcb9b06cddc7fe7&pid=100623&rk=1&rkt=6&sd=173464555979&itm=173258806993&_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m
18062014136.jpg

IMG_20180829_220033.jpg

Edit ..... Or what about these ..... modern looking, a bit flash ! and come with a choice of pretty different colour lights !
https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Nash-Siren...itm=572551408929&_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1

Mind you the Mavers have two colours one each wind ear Green for run, and red for drop back

Last edited:
Hi men,

Ian , my mate has the S5r ( as recomended in one of my posts) , the r being receiver. But tbe standard version as you linked are cheap, small , neat , and from all reviews bombproof .

Hattet

I don't know what has happened to Mr Whiteing but I feel obliged to say that the ratchet on my centrepin is the best alarm. Please don't boo or worse!

However I appreciate that if you are punching a big feeder into the Trent or similar then a centrepin would'nt be most people's choice - or even mine.

I was thinking that a 'louder ' baitrunner mechanism would be useful when I was on the Wye this week.

I don't know what has happened to Mr Whiteing but I feel obliged to say that the ratchet on my centrepin is the best alarm. Please don't boo or worse!

However I appreciate that if you are punching a big feeder into the Trent or similar then a centrepin would'nt be most people's choice - or even mine.

I was thinking that a 'louder ' baitrunner mechanism would be useful when I was on the Wye this week.
Cheap and cheerful daiwa regal X or z baitrunners. Terrible line lay but bomb proof and the loudest baitrunners ever,drowning out a bit e alarm on low volume easily.

At the risk of offending att users.... DON'T DO IT!!
If the att cost around £10 then you could say that you are getting value for money but
I'm guessing your going to pay around £50 for a att head then similar amount for a sounder box. Back in the day, that may have been good value for a remote alarm system but in today's market its like buying a black and white TV.
The att sales point was that it was a competitive system due to the fact that you saved money as you did not have to duplicate the number of speakers and volume controls. The basic sensitivity adjustment, whilst never been state of the art, proved adicuate. Tho when you consider the initial cost of the alarm (£70ish when first out) and replacement 4 or 6 magnet roller wheels and snag ears - it all starts adding up. Then you will need to check out the batteries as if I recall there are to types available and one of them isn't suitable for the att.
For the same amount of money you could buy the same set up from new direction... Take a look at this system on you tube. They have everything. Even the angling tackle tarts will have to agree that if this system was badged 'fox' the price would triple. Some may state that there is less to go wrong with the att. Id respond with the fact that there is probably more to go wrong when messing around with screws and rubber seals when you need to tweek the sensitivity or change a battery. If you are worried about people being overly concerned about noise on the bank, with any other alarm you turn the volume down...
Simply put. There are just more up to date - dare I say better systems on the market for a similar outlay

Last edited:
Back